Show some plastic yoyos you made

Mate, it was a killer. It ruined hours of work. Even when the slip was tiny, even imperceptable at times, it welded instantly.

3 Likes

This reminds me of some similar problems I’ve heard about turning steel or titanium - if you let the tool rub against the piece it’ll work-harden, so you actually have to feed faster than you’d think.

5 Likes

People actually like these posts, then? I wasn’t sure.

5 Likes

I made this one today for @threebearrries.

It has a floaty and bouncy character with decent spin and stability. It feels powerful enough on the throw to give you the confidence to throw tough combos with it. It’s a lovely and well balanced yoyo that feels great to use.

16 Likes

Absolutely stunning! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That looks really good, dude

2 Likes

Your plastics are really coming out nicely @Glenacius_K

3 Likes

I haven’t entirely quit the Survivalist just yet. I believe I’ve had a small breakthrough with it. Before fitting the axle, I drilled a small 1mm diameter relief hole through the centre of one of the response recesses diagonally down into the bottom of the axle hole. This allows the air to escape properly as the axle is pushed in, so no pressurized air is working against the glue.

I still need to try a different material for the axle though.

10 Likes

1 Like

I can’t believe I never responded to this.

This yo-yo is one of my favorite responsive yoyos! It plays pretty much just like @TheThrowingGnome 's for responsive play. I love it so much that way, I haven’t even tried it unresponsive.

I think I like the Weekender almost as much, but they are different yoyos. The weekender is lighter, which is great for modern responsive. This one being heavier, is more capable at string tricks, but still fully capable at the modern responsive stuff.

I can do matador stuff with the Weekender, but this one has a bit if a lip, and I’ve managed to pull off some thumb grind stuff with it; which is fun to try to do with a responsive yoyo. The acetal is nice for tape measures.

The two complement each other well. I know I’ve talked a lot about the Weekender, but I think it’s a good way to explain this yoyos (doesn’t have a name, I don’t think) characteristics.

I love the uniqueness, and handmade, yet precision quality of it.

2 Likes

Next idea for Survivalist axles (If I can make it work). 6063 aluminium rod.

7 Likes

Made another revision of the Surviavlist today. It has a sturdy aluminium axle that appears to have glued in very solidly. Time will tell if it stays together.

The body is slightly rounder than previous Survivalists and I roughed up the inner wall with a spiraling tool to help with response.

It’s a good yoyo, but at 64g, just too heavy. I will need to revise the shape an make it smaller. It actually feels pretty good at that weight, though.

13 Likes

Next revisions of the Survivalist:

• Change to a solid aluminium 1/4" axle
  • make the body thinner
  • refine response.
  • add pullstart dimple
  • change name.
6 Likes

Just a thought, probably dumb, but could you use knurled rod for the axel to create response friction without having to rough the walls? Or would that just eat string like no one’s business?

how does the whole response mechanics change now that the axle is made from smooth aluminium?

It would definitely wear string like nobody’s business. It would also have a spin time of 2 seconds.

1 Like

The plastic axle it used to have was smooth too. The response will predominantly come from the walls which are also very slick. Because of this I will use either a spiraling tool or 40 grit samd paper to rough them up nicely.

that thing looks like so much fun. :joy:

Made all of the changes. It plays a lot better and weighs only 54g. The pressure of the glue and air in the axle home when I clamped it in caused one half to rupture. I will still a relief hole through a response recess down to the axle next time. It actually plays really well, but I will still make some small response tweaks.

New revision will be a winner.

12 Likes

How about ‘Beater’ for the name?

6 Likes