Show off your Plastic Peaks... painted!

LFVK x CLYW Plastic Peak Bearing-Gull

35 Likes

Nice! Looks like Eddie Van Halen’s yoyo.

5 Likes

the yoyo absolutely did not turn out as I would have liked, there is no consistency with the original splah (not that it could have been the same, but I still don’t think it was satisfactory)… there were many difficulties and decisions to make, maybe I can explain them in more detail if it will be of interest. I certainly owe a special thanks to @Sleeper80 for his precious advice!

1 Like

It looks awesome regardless!! I think it goes unnoticed to most :slight_smile:

What did you use to make the splash? I’ve had thoughts of using like a hot glue gun to drizzle a splash on and paint/dye the rest

1 Like

Fabri this looks absolutely sick well done :heart:

1 Like

Fabrizio, to me this looks absolutely gorgeous.
Nice clean splashes and that red is super vibrant! I know it’s not how you like it, but I got the feeling you are a perfectionist, nevertheless excellent job!

I saw some pictures in the other thread, but can you share your process.
I might try too :grimacing:

1 Like

Here I am! I will try to briefly explain the various passages and the reasons for the choices.
it all started from the idea that white cannot be obtained in anodizing and the only colors that can make it appear are those with clear splashes because the surface is small and the contrasting color helps “the deception” … so when I saw the white Plastic my mind immediately went to a color that I’ve always loved and that I don’t have… the Bearing-Gull! How to do it though? and I’m not familiar with plastic at all.
I tried to understand how deying works and in this @sleeper80 it was very useful to me. The dye that I always see used and that gives the best results seems to be RIT Dey More, which I can’t find in Italy and which I should get in the UK (shipping and customs make it about 40 euros) but the main problem was what to mask with? Rubber cement-type glues would be dissolved by acetone, the vinyl ones would be dissolved by water, the only glue that would remain unscathed is the hot one but due to its density it is impossible to splash … cmq I found a suitable universal dye also with synthetic fibers and I did a couple of tests on a OneStar (60% water, 40% acetone and 20 minutes of immersion)… disastrous results! I had confirmation that the hot glue did not mask well and that the color (at least the dye used by me) does not penetrate but creates a surface layer which can be easily removed by abrasion, this 6-7 days after colouring. therefore method discarded.

2 Likes

I therefore thought about the painting (after all the painted OG Paek sonio) but it was the last method I wanted to use because I already knew that there would be problems, first of all the surface steps that would be created between the colored surface and that masked once the masking was removed and, another big problem, would the veil of color split precisely when the masking was removed, leaving the splashes defined or not? Would the yoyo then remain smooth or would it begin to vibrate?
So I started from the beginning knowing that the chosen method would necessarily give me some problems.
first I performed a bead-blastin on the yoyo, to eliminate the writing on the wall (which could have remained visible in the spash) and to make the surface more gripping. Then I degreased the halves.

Next step, masking. With what to do it? I discarded the rubber cement in order not to have problems with the paint solvent which could dissolve it and I opted for a vinyl glue which is therefore water-based and does not have a great gluing strength… I could not know that in practice it would still have been a bad choice.

Next step, painting, I used professional pre-catalyzed MaxMayer paints (again 43 euros of products :face_exhaling:), this is a specific primer for plastic surfaces, let it dry for about 5 hours

and then a single coat of acrylic paint let it dry for over 12 hours.

what I didn’t know was the enormous difficulty that the vinyl glue would have created for me to remove it… it became very hard and as expected in removing the edges of the paint (which is very hard and resistant in any case) they do not remain well defined … I’m just saying that it took me more than two hours to remove the masking (and in some places it didn’t even come off well)!

So ultimately what can I tell you… perhaps the best method would be to paint the halves all red and then paint them with a brush of white paint and finish with a coat of clear… but even in that case, the white paint it has to be quite dense and then it would create some bumps, I think.
As for the final result, however, the superficial steps can be felt but allow you to perform grinds, even if they are not long-lasting and the yoyo has a negligible vibration. This was my completely new experience with materials and techniques never tested before… now I await your tests and to see where your imagination can lead you! :+1: :muscle:

10 Likes

Wow, thanks for all this information, a load of experience there! I am in UK so I will probably try the dye, I need to come up with ideas for the glueing though🤔

1 Like

I really like this colorway, i like seeing other peoples design ideas, it makes me want to try new things. Keep experimenting!

1 Like

so what?
so much hype, so many expectations, many possibilities to make nice tributes (OG, Chesterman, Clareview…) and instead the most absolute nothing? but really?!

I was planning to get a white one and have fun dyeing it… Then I looked at my bank account, long story short it fell lower in my priorities :sweat_smile:

1 Like