Do you have any "painted" yo-yos?

Saw this come up on Twitter recently :heart_eyes:

I feel like painted yo-yos have never really been much of a thing even back in the plastic era where it was easier to do (I guess because plastic is more tolerant of paints, can have end caps, and you can paint the ‘inside’ of a clear yoyo to see it on both sides), and even less so in the era of cheap metal yo-yos.

Just to highlight a few more, these are of course Higbys (as in hand decorated by the one and only John Higby) 

I guess it makes sense that painting never took off at scale (compared to anodization / splashes) as you can’t automate that, you can’t do a “run” of 100 painted yo-yos without kinda killing the artist in the process :wink:

You could do an automated laser engraving but that’s kinda monochrome-only which isn’t as nice.

Anyways! Do you have any cool painted yo-yos? Have you seen a super awesome painted yo-yo recently anywhere? Share pics!

12 Likes

I’ve got two painted. Both done by my amazing fiancĂ©.

G2 Warthog, Pirates of the Caribbean themed.
CLYW Yeti, Matterhorn Yeti.

image image

** apologies for the poor photo quality, screenshot and crop from Instagram.

35 Likes

Those are both great but that Yeti!

5 Likes

That yoyo should be called the Bumbles

1 Like

These are soooo awesome :heart_eyes:

1 Like

that yeti is so cool.

4 Likes

Oh man. Gotta show off my minusmikes later.

2 Likes

I really want that edge and that yeti. That looks awesome!!

2 Likes

WOW. Those are amazing!!!

4 Likes

I have a few.

19 Likes

I have just two. One is a Leviathan that was painted by the owner of Turning Point (or so I’m told).

The other one is a bit more special (to me, anyways). It was originally a 3rd run Wolf Lake Peak that was painted by Brett Grimes, who I believe named it the ‘Boo Peak’. I had always wanted to paint a yoyo as well as give my own take on the classic ‘Peak motif’. These are the results:

Brett Grimes painted Peak:

Stripped of paint:

Repainted by me! The name I gave it isn’t all-ages-appropriate, but it starts with ‘Thunder’:
https://i.imgur.com/ooLigew.mp4

8 Likes

I also owned another painted Peak at one point. I think it was a commission job by Trevlor?

9 Likes

Tri-force powder coated Peak and BvM.

22 Likes

I like these painted A-RT wooden ones as well

41345113_1162529653899693_5184323995565239880_n

14 Likes

20160710_131809

I have this painted entheos from Brett Grimes. It’s chipping a bit but I don’t play it anymore to try and preserve it.

6 Likes

I have pretty much that exact ethenos from Brett as well.
Mine is still unscathed and I was going to list it here soon.

3 Likes

Yeah he made a couple if I recall like 5 or so

No yo-yos
 but I have shoes :slight_smile:image

11 Likes

Very cool!!!

2 Likes

Reposting this from @exmime via Higby (of course), I love it :heart_eyes:

DSC_0065

14 Likes