Short vs Long Yoyo String

Yeah thats why I just mentioned tricks like brent stole in my last post… Any trick like this is much MUCH harder when using a long string and I find this to be true with many different types of tricks… Whips, horizontal, speed. Long string is really only beneficial when doing tech type tricks but even then your string doesn’t need to be that long imo. After testing a bunch of tricks on many different string lengths, I feel shorter string gives you better accuracy, control, speed, and consistency. Obviously its all preference at the end of the day.

2 Likes

What does zoning tricks mean?

Woah you’re really passionate about string sizes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know not all tall people have long arms and short people have short arms but on average a taller person would have slightly longer arms and visa versa. Sure slack tricks would probably be easier on longer string but stuff like Eli hops I find awkward to do on string shorter than the floor to my belly button and I’m 6’4". It’s probably the distance from hand to hand when playing I guess. Which you’d think wouldn’t matter no matter how long your arms are so perhaps it’s just me but I find my arms naturally rest further apart than shorter people than me but have the same build (i.e width)
I think most of us use the floor to belly button “system” (if you can call it that haha) because I have never busted out the ruler and took the time to measure my string. Is that something a lot of people do when cutting string?

3 Likes

Tricks around different parts of the body such as arm, wrist, neck tricks etc

1 Like

No I’m not really passionate just curious haha. I’m pretty sure most people use floor to belly system although some people go higher or lower. I don’t really think people measure their strings… I’ve just been experimenting with hard tricks and string length and have found some interesting things so I just had to ask everyone’s preference and why

1 Like

Yeah I could see how this would be easier on longer string for sure!

I experimented with length for a while and found my preferred length for 1A is if I place my hand with my index finger just below my nipples. For 0A, my pinky just above my belly button. I’d say these are average lengths. Not too long, not too short.

Edit: I measured out of curiosity and the 1A length is around 125cm. For reference, I’m about 5’10.

I measure, it’s the best way to get consistency and make micro adjustments. I have a reference string and a seamstress measuring tape on the wall.

3 Likes

I just recently started cutting my string back a little shorter. But keep it long on a few select yoyos for certain tricks

1 Like

Mine is 70cm for 2A loopers and standard belly button length for 1A, about 105cm.

1 Like

In that case that would make perfect sense

2 Likes

About ~115cm, this length gives me the best feeling.

1 Like

My string is 4 inches from my belly button. Its not exactly short or exactly long but its kinda towards the longer side. I found this string length after a lot of trial and error. Altho I still prefer longer strings for tech and shorter strings for speed and zontal stuff but the string length I use is just the right length to do every trick I can do.

1 Like

I measured my string and it’s 93cm (36in) long.

h
I like this short length because it makes catching the counterweight so much more easier. Controlling tricks also feels faster, safer and easier with shorter string. Electric fans tho become super difficult for me because there is so little string to work with.
I also use this string length for 3A play.

3 Likes

I will measure my string to see the exact length but right now with my trick vocabulary, I really feel like short string makes me more accurate, more controlled, more consistent, and really makes it easy for me to control the speed of the yoyo. I’m sure once I get into more techy and body type type tricks I will have to adjust it though.

2 Likes

Shorter string. Looks a lot less sloppy and matches my style better.

3 Likes

I feel the same way

That’s actually not very surprising since you mostly play 5A. Most of the time 5A players would use shorter string for better control as well haha. Dylan Kowalski also recommended shortening the string for 5A play as well so yeah.

4 Likes

Yeah short string rules in 5A! I made the mistake of starting with “normal length” string (belly button to ground) but ever since I started to use short string I’m not going back

3 Likes

Standard 1A I use the equivalent of a full length Kitty string, what ever that is, loop tied at the very end as close as I can get. BUT, I’m 6’5" so it’s probably just a little longer than what most may use.

2A/5A much shorter string, I’d have to measure. I started using the length that Shu recommended for 2A, so whatever that is. 5A I just start shortening it until it feels right, 36-40" if I had to guess.

Fixed axle is just under the old “belly button length rule”

4 Likes