Shinwoo Dolphin

So me and my Wife usually do orders together. Just makes sense. I ordered a One Drop Paul Dang (Will do a review later. Give me a week to get a really good feel for it.) and my Wife wanted a Shinwoo Dolphin. Her taste lean towards a undersized where I like full sized throws. I finally decided to write my first review with it.

I placed the order on a Friday night and received it priority mail that Monday. I was expecting it to ship out on Monday! So a quick turnaround there.

I have had about 20 minutes of play time with it and here is what I think about it. Probably wont play too much more with it since I got my Dang and my Wife really likes the Dolphin.

Heres the Specs straight off of YYE:

Diameter: 49.34 mm / 1.94 inches
Width: 40.36 mm / 1.58 inches
Gap Width: 4.36 mm / .17 inches
Weight: 64.2 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Response: Shinwoo Response Pads

Packaging:
The Dolphin came in a box with the normal Korean writing all over it. On the back was picture directions on stringing, throwing and binding. Inside the box, the yoyo, extra pads and 2 strings were sealed in another plastic package that you have to cut open.

Looks:
We ordered a Blue one. Its a darker type blue ano with no flaws. It looks really nice. The profile is a little different. Kind of like its caught between a wing with a h shapes center.

Throwing:
To me it is small. I have a chinese knockoff of a 888x without hubstacks. The dolphin does feel smaller but I think it is because of the middle shape. It does have a nice weight to it though. Now I am throwing with a string fit to my Wife so it will feel quicker since it is shorter than what I use. My skills would be between Intermediate to Advanced. I start working through a few simple tricks like double or nothings, kwijibo and such without any problems. It can work those. Thumb grind was ok. There is no inner lip but it is slightly angled. The Axle make little spikes on the side so it might do Matadors. I don’t do them yet though.

When I started into a longer combo that I made, that’s where I see a problem. It acts almost like the YYF Whip. When it slows down, it starts becoming unstable. Unlike the Whip, the Dolphin does have body mass. Maybe not enough weight is on the rims. Just not sure. Also remember that I did not have that much time with it to really get used to it. That instability might be from me.

Is it a Competition yoyo… no. Is it fun… so far I did have fun with it. Kind of like throwing the Aoda Littles. Not a Comp throw but still fun to play around with. Well worth the price that it is sold on YYE.

Above all the person who it was bought for really likes it. I will probably drop in a Crucial bearing that we have in the JK to see if it feels any better to me.

I’m liking how shiny that finish is. Looks like its a good grinder.

Its a decent grinder. Since it is smooth, that is almost counter productive. What helps though is on my fingers, not much surface make contact.

I threw in a Crucial 2 bearing and I have had no problem with any of the combos going unstable since it keeps a lot of spin now. The original Shinwoo bearing was played straight out of box so maybe cleaning and thin lubing might help. Not saying the bearing is bad at all but the Crucial bearing is playing way better.

I will add, with the original bearing, I felt zero vibe when I threw it straight.

You lucky dog.

you got yourself a wife that yoyos

Yuppers. Now if I can get her to practice more, it would be a lot better.

P.S. I am not going to do a review of her. :smiley: