shield's Ultimate Bearing Mod by shield400 (Am not taking credit)

Hey guys, If your looking for the fastest most quietr bearing this is your mod!!!NOT FOR CERAMIC BEARINGS

[b] ** STEPS **[/b]

(1) Take the shields off of the bearing. You can only take off one but you’ll get better results if you remove both sides.

(2) Clean out all the oil and dirt with the chemical of your choice. I’ve always used Mineral Spirits also knows as paint thinner, it has always worked the best for me.

(3) Once dry get some Metal Polish and pack the insides of the bearing with it. If you have a Dremel give it a “very low RPM” spin for 20-30 seconds or spin the bearing by hand for about a minute working it back and forth. Please note that it must be a smooth cream like metal polish, do not use Flitz or polish with a gritty texture.

(4) Once your done soak the bearing again in Mineral Spirits and use a soft toothbrush to help wash out the polish. Give the bearing 2-3 washes until all the polish is gone. I recommend to refill the container your using with fresh Mineral Spirits after each wash.

(5) Once dry give it a few spins to make sure all the polish is out. I usually put the shields back on and very lightly oil but you don’t have to.

READ THISI am not taking any credit this, this all go’s to shield400 , i’m doing this for the benifit of others.

Thanks, and yes this works wonders on some bearings. I’ve used it on a few, but please don’t post links to competing store forums here.

1 Like

Sorry i didn’t know, i’m new to YYE forums :slight_smile: Will not do that again

Tried this years ago and wasn’t impressed. If there was an improvement to my bearing it was very little. Too little for me to tell.

My experience has been that it’s most effective on marginal bearings. I’ve used it on bearings that came in previously owned yoyos that were obviously mistreated. It doesn’t have much effect on a new or good bearing.

While the polish is perhaps grinding out a little bit of metal, I don’t really see this as a mod, but rather a desperation effort to get a bearing working again.

My method involves blwing out the bearing, cleaning with solvents, cleaning out with paper, blowing out again, some light play, then over-lubing, light play to work the lube through and lift more impurities, then back into FRESH solvents, cleaned with paper, spin for a few minutes and then play it.

I would think this method would have the possibility of removing material from the bearing, causing the balls to loosen.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

Yes it does. It works well on bearings that have some oxidation on them.