Cleaning a bearing

whats the best way to clean my yoyos bearing

please see my post in this thread regarding this

thanx

Why not just post it here for him? The best way to clean it is take off the shields on the bearings, soak it in mineral SPIRITS for a couple minutes, blow it out with compressed air, then lube it with a needle drop of thin lube (optional), and put the shields back on (optional).

Because it’s redundant. ::slight_smile:
here it is anyway

take off the c clips with a pin and tap out the shields. soak in Zippo fluid, for about an hour, occasionaly turning the bearing the get all the stuff out.
dry off with compressed air. Works best if you put the bearing on a tapered stick so it can spin while you blow the stuff out of it, which will also help break it in. I do this twice on each side.
If you want to break it in, either A. replace the bearing dry and do sleepers for 15 to 30 min, or attatch to a drill and let it spin for 5 to 10 min.
Then, put 2 tiny spots of thin oil into the bearing. I use sewing machine oil, but thin lube or trombone oil work just as well. Put 1 in the inside track and one on the outside track. Your may want to just dip a pin in the oil and apply it that way so as to not accidentaly over lube. spin it a couple of times to make sure it spins to you liking. I usually put it back on the tapered stick and spin it again on each side with the canned air to to make sure the lube is even throughout. This give it better spinning off the bat, and help prevent oil overflow which eats your string.
If over lubed, Repeat proccess skipping the break in spinning in part.
Recommend leaving the shields off for future cleaning and avoiding the hassle of taking out the c clips again

Well I don’t think a hour is neccesary, my bearing worked fine when soaked in mineral spirits for 5 minutes.

It depends on what kind and how much existing lube has to be broken down. I only do that to the bearing the first time and, as I said, turn it occasionaly (every 15 to 20 min) to make sure the solvent is able to penetrate all sides of the bearing. after this, it should spin for over 3 seconds when you flick it with your finger. At least yyj & dif e yo bearings do. I don’t have any higher up stuff.
Further cleanings tend to go quicker, as I’m already familiar with whats been put into the bearing. that, and I don’t use very much lube, so there is not much to remove. usually I do 15 with a spin every 5 min for think lube and 10 min with a spin every 3 min for thin. then go straight into the described drying and lube process
Which may seem more neurotic that needed, but I hate HATE cleaning bearings. This method has given me the best success, with the most consistant results, and most importantly, the longest times between re cleaning.

ok thanks