Help cleaning bearings!

I have 2 bearings that have become responsive, a one drop 10 ball, and a yoyofactory standard bearing. I have tried cleaning them a couple times. First, I soaked them in mineral spirits for about 10 minutes each, then I let them dry. After that I put on a couple drops of yomega thin lubricant, and let it sit. Now when I play with them, which I have been doing for a good two weeks now, the yoyos are rather responsive. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it the yoyos? The 10 ball goes to my 54 and the yyf bearing is for a dv888. Help please!

maybe it just takes a while to break in, or maybe yomega’s lube doesnt work that good.

Did you remove the shields when you cleaned them? Works best that way. When you take them out of the solvent, blow any excess solvent out either with a can of compressed air or just your breath.

A couple of drops of yomega lube will make them responsive. A couple of drops of most lubes will for that matter. You need just a small amount, maybe 1/4 of what you used.

Yomega brain lube works just fine when used in moderation.

well when I clean my bearings I don’t let them sit for ten min maybe half that and other half I’m shaking the jar idk if it helps “i think it does” then your supposed to put a pinhead size drop of lube not one whole drop or more its a tiny drop, then spin it so it coats the bearing. after that just play it.

Yep, ya gotta swish it around.

You still didnt say if your taking the shields off or not. You have to take the shields off AND your using way to much lube!

From a prev. thread: ( didnt mention removing the shields, I assume everyone knows they have too. My bad)
My procedure: Two cans, fill half a can each. One with Simple green, my primary detergent, one with denatured alcohol. This may sound a bit anal but it works really well. A 30 second shake in Green. Air dry with a couple shots of “dust off” and a 30 second shake in alcohol. Dust off to dry then ever so slightly moisten the bearing with thinlube.
By reading the threads it looks like the topic is akin to cooking chili, everyone has their own way and that way is best, LOL . If your way works well for you then God bless you! But really, think about not reusing the solvent, or at least run it thru a scrap of coffee maker filter.

about the shields. i spent 2 and a half hours last night trying to get them off using a needle, then a tack, then an exacto knife. nothing worked. its pissing me off. how do i do it? i read every guide, watched tutorials, it seems impossible! also, a couple drops was a slight exageration. i only use one, but my stupid bottle broke so they end up being big.

The C-clip is a split ring piece. Take your pin and feel around the edge of the bearing with it. When you get to the split you will be able to feel it snag. That is where you work at prying it out. You want to hold the pin at about 20 degrees from the surface of the bearing. You are basically trying to grab the end of a wire in a slot with the end of the pin. Some come easy, some take a bit more work.

i know how it works.

As for lube, apply it to your needle first, and there will be a tiny drop on the tip of the needle. Apply that to the bearing. Try looking closely at the clips. Sometimes, on clip will be like this: / /___ (Underscore is the bearing, outer race, slashes are the C-clips.) As you can tell, they’re not at a perfect angle. Try to hit the side on the left, the one that produces an angle that can trap your needle tip between the outer race and the C-clip. And then lever the C-clip towards the center, you’re not pulling it up, you’re pulling it in.

Good. Just offering a bit of an explanation since you are still having problems w/it.

okay i will try that.