Sanding clear plastic yoyos

I always wanted to see examples from the community of your personal plastic throws you guys sanded!

I was thinking of sanding my own clear plastic yo-yos to see if it has the smooth machined PC appearance.

It would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Dont mind me, but what is sanding?!

Sanding a surface with sandpaper. On yoyos it’s usually to remove the gloss finish so the yoyo will grind.

2 Likes

Doc pop used to sell bolts in two variety’s from his good doctor bag. And the “Satin” or sanded was a couple bucks more.
Makes the yo-yo grind better as I recall.

1 Like

Thank you! Do you by any chance have a photo? I’ve been trying to find all over the forums for an example photo that wasn’t an opaque plastic throw

2 Likes

Blegh, sorry, reply button is bugging me

1 Like

I don’t have any pics but just get some fine grit paper and sand in one direction or the same direction to get the grain.

2 Likes

Oh! thank you!

1 Like

I was sure that I saw someone post a sanded plastic Butterfly, but Butterfly posts are a big haystack to search.

I did find this by @Glenacius_K:

Which may have started out like this (?):

3 Likes

Gahhhhh they look so amazinggg, thank you so much! I just wanted to make sure how they looked before I decide to sand a yo-yo, i didnt want to have any regrets haha,

I can’t thank enough!

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure that the frosted one started out clear, so that is worth confirming if possible.

2 Likes

You can sand plastic to give it a smooth, shiny appearance. You need to start with low grit to high grit. Do this order: 80 grit, 120, 240. Then wet sand at these grits: 400, 600, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000, 3000, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000.

You will end up with this appearance, but its a lot of work. (Ignore the Bloodcell).

6 Likes

Ahh, I was just wondering how a normal plastic throw such as the yo-yo you showed would look if it was frosted (e.g. a translucent poly carb instead of a Transparent look)
IMG_5175

I haven’t seen any photos of turning a transparent yo-yo into a Translucent yo-yo until @hsb showed me your example of your Knick knack, I only like that appearance since it gives off a machined PC aesthetic, and it’s less sticky on the hands since, i apologize but I’m a stickler for finishes ._.

It’s very pretty!!! I love what you did with it! (With the frosting And polishing!)

I just wanted to prepare how the finish product would look Just before I get started on frosting it

Thank you!!!

I’m not lying, I took a SS before I sent and it’s not replying, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong ._.

Ah sorry. I misunderstood what you were aiming for.

2 Likes

For satin finish plastic I would use 000 steel wool. Sandpaper might be too easy to gouge chunks out

2 Likes

Haha! I had the same question a while back…. If your reply is right after the person you are replying to, that little icon doesn’t carry forward to the post. Weird but by design I believe.

2 Likes

I suppose a high end polycarb might be blasted to get the best finish, but frosted texture is usually related to the materials used making moulds. Anything between sand and volcanic ash.

A guy my bro used to work with made big cash on the side making moulds for barbecue tool handles in his backyard

1 Like

I did it to one of my K2 Crystals. And yeah, makes it way less sticky. I like it. I used a fine grit sandpaper. Maybe 400? 800? I forget exactly.

9 Likes

It looks very pretty!! Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try it out : D