Retic Yoyo AMA with Retic Neil

Hi everyone im Neil Baker and I run Retic yoyo. Feel free to ask anything and ill try my best to answer you.

A little about us.
I started Retic in june of 2017 with a goal of spreading the joy yoyo gives me with as many people as possible. I enjoy making yoyos and have no plans on ever stopping. We started making top quallity wooden fixies and now we are making some of the best unresponsive mono and bi metals that we can.

Qc is always top priority.

We have a small team right now but are looking to add new contest oriented players.

I want to sponsor as many contests as I can so if you are running one please reach out so I can help sponsor it :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Hey neil! This is awesome. I have a boa and its really fun, and I really think you have some of the best colorways in the game right now. Do you have any other organics coming down the pipeline soon? What can we expect to see from retic in the future? Are there any colorway ideas that youve been wanting to try and make work?

8 Likes

What does your yoyo assembly workbench look like?

7 Likes

Hi. I am so happy you like the boa! And thank you, we try very hard on the colors.
Yes I am working on a brand new organic also a mini boa.
What to expect. You can expect to see alot more of us at contests and in 10 years we will still be here making new yoyos.
Colorways in the works. I have so many color ideas. It is actually the part that takes me the longest. I spend weeks on color choices/styles

Thanks for asking. Feel free to ask more.

10 Likes

I will take a pic and show you after work. Thanks for asking

4 Likes
  1. You claim to be all about sneks, yet do not have a silver/green fade Slytherin colorway. What gives?

B. More fixies ever? That would be cool. Maybe source a southwestern wood and call it the Diamondback? You can have that idea. for free.

5 Likes

Love the slytherin idea. I am very into snakes but only seen harry potter once along time ago so I had forgotten they even had anything about snakes haha. But I will probably use that idea very soon so thank you!

For the wooden yoyos. I will be doing a caiman restock very soon. I have been slowly working on them. I usually name my wooden yoyos after the wood type instead of giving them fun names like I do with the ano.

Thanks for asking

4 Likes

Got to try a few retic yo-yos at worlds and gotta say - Really nice designs. I thought the Burm was especially fun!

But I have to question this…

Dragon Slayer? Alien Galaxy? At least change the names man.

5 Likes

Do you have any other details on this Mini Boa? Size, Timeline, Pics? :grin:

2 Likes

How many snakes have you seen in your life?

1 Like

I think it is a testament to just how saturated the market is with good yoyos that the Boa doesn’t get the widespread acclaim that it deserves. As organics go, it is a performance monster. It has really impressed me!

8 Likes

I used the same names on those two colors because they were exact copies and I thought that was paying respect to the original creater. Kinda like covering a song doesnt change its name. But that wasnt well recieved so I dont make them in those colors anymore. It was never meant to offend it was supposed to be a compliment. They were two of my favorite colorways.

9 Likes

Thousands haha. I used to have over 100 breeding pairs. Mostly ball python morphs and red tail boas. I had one 18foot retic before my kids were born. I have bred one pair of rattlesnakes. Now I have an albino ball python, a normal ball, a big red tail boa, my two caimans and 3 dogs.

5 Likes

I dont think very many people know about the boa. Every contest I went to this year tons of people didnt know retic was a thing

3 Likes

Details and pics coming in the next month or so

3 Likes

I would fall into this category - when I first met you at ECM this year was the first I had heard of Retic, and now I’m hooked! Can’t wait to add a Caiman to my collection! When do you think the restock of these will be happening? Do you do any custom engravings on the fixies?

1 Like

Really don’t understand why people get upset about this kind of stuff. It’s a combination of colors. It has no impact on the design of the yo-yo itself so I legitimately don’t see the issue. If it were anything but splashes/acid washes it would be crazy.

“Well we can’t do a blue yo-yo because company x did a blue yo-yo already. Can’t do a pink/red fade cuz company y did that.” People need to chill.

Edit: did not realize the Dragon Slayer was a YYE exclusive collaboration with different brands. I have no issue with replicating color combinations but I don’t think it’s a good look to use the IP of another company without permission.

5 Likes

ECM was a blast. I cant wait for the next one. No date set for the caiman restock. We will be offering custom engravings when they release.

2 Likes

Burm XL coming?
What CAD do you use?
What do you look for in a player when you consider sponsorship?

1 Like

Bimetal burm is something ive been thinking about. Making the burm any bigger will be difficult, not undoable just hard lol.

Autocad for design

As for the sponsor part I look for people that are passionate about yoyoing. Someone that likes and wants to rep our brand. Has input on design ideas and color/names. Is willing to help run a table at contests if needed. Wants to compete and/or does alot of online trick vids. The number one biggest thing is, we have to get along since we will be spending alot of time together whether its in chat or at a hotel out of state. There is alot of things I consider before sponsoring anyone. I dont just think of us at retic as a team we are way closer to family.
Also wont sponsor anyone that hasn’t at least tried our yoyos, ive been asked a few times for a player sponsorship and the person has never even seen one of our throws.

4 Likes