Restring first....then throw. Dont forget!!!

I’ve been buying a few used yoyo’s lately and I usually always put new string on them when they arrive. However I have been known to go ahead and throw them a few throws first just because I’m excited to have something new and I want to see what it feels like right away.
So today I got one in the mail, opened the package and pulled out my new prize. It looks to be in great condition so I looped the string around my finger and gave it a hard throw and “boink”. This thing goes down and back up so fast it nearly hit me in the face. Turns out the string is only about 24" long. Who ever had this before me must have been pretty short and I’m 6’-1" tall. So for now on I’ll be replacing the string first before ever trying to throw a new yo. Lesson learned!

2 Likes

Good advice. Had the same experience with a pair of Raiders I picked up from a guy.
Or at least inspect the string before you go all out on it.

1 Like

The string on my SFSS snapped on the first throw after I got it. Never used stock string again

And also, never use Duncan strings. Lesson learnt

2 Likes

I think that people should ship yoyos with ‘no’ string on them; period.

If they want to include a string; that’s fine. Put it in the box.

And something else… Most people that have sent me yoyos over the last 20 years or so; do include at least one string. I appreciate that. But I would really appreciate if they would mention on a scrap of paper; what kind of string it is. Because if you end up liking it or not; you won’t know where to get more or what not to get?

I understand you can try to contact the sender. But sometimes no luck at that.

When I get a yo-yo that has a string on it; the first thing I do is unwind the string; manually to see how long it actually is. Then I take the string off the yoyo and look at both ends carefully. Make sure the loop is knotted well. And make sure the loop at the other end is not frayed at all. But most often I don’t even use that string. I use my own New string; thereby possibly avoiding a sad situation.

String is soooooo inexpensive compared to just about any decent yoyo. If you have a $50 dollar yoyo in perfect shape; even putting on a New string that costs a buck; is Cheap insurance to avoid a sea of sadness.

Think of it this way. If you can’t afford to have a good stock of good quality, new string on hand; then you are spending too much money on yoyos and not enough money on string.

Your mileage may vary.

2 Likes