Responsive yoyo suggestions

I got a bunch of new Duncan Proyos from a dollar-type of store and I was able to do a loop or two but it’s so tiny with such a tiny gap…I think if it’s all I had I’d find a way to do tricks but it would take a very large amount of learning time which would not be bad. It takes a lot of precision which again, is not a bad thing. Maybe playing giant gapped heavy weight yoyos ALL the time is not so good…

Metal responsive with a bearing, and wooden fixed axle I consider to be two very different genre’s. They play different, and enough so that I have to work on different skills and techniques for each…so all of the discussion regarding which is better is apples to oranges in my opinion. Not to mention the third category of looping yoyos. Another category with a whole different set of techniques to master.

Not worth wasting time arguing over. Yo-yo people should have one of each!

With that in mind I’ll add on another vote in the metal responsive category for the Basecamp Sherpa and the Rain City Skills Gamer…those two are great for either responsive or unresponsive play. When set up as responsive with a slim bearing, both hit that sweet spot for me in terms of having a nice quick response, but plenty of spin time for a LOT of tricks. As unresponsives they are the perfect training yoyos. My dark horse in the metal responsive category is the Low Key Throws Woodland with a slim bearing…it’s such a fun, laid back, pocket sized, GORGEOUS yoyo.

In the wooden fixed axle category, I go with two suggestions. For a very laid back yoyo I love the O.U.T. Pocket Love (mine is made in heartwood which is super heavy) which is just a nice “chill out” throw. I don’t really use it for tricks, I just use it to “zen”. And my go to fixed axle for just about every fixed axle trick is the Hildy Bros Currier (the Recess project with the skateboard deck worked into the yoyo is beautious!). It’s just a nicely designed, simple but effective wooden yoyo with replaceable parts, just in case.

For looping. The Something LP and the newest one I just picked up is the Loop 2020 (that thing is really slick and all the swappable parts make it really neat to mess around with, not cheap for a looper though). The cheap quality option that works just as well as anything else is the Duncan Hornet.

1 Like

I have a few Hornet and love them! You just reminded me of them so I’m gonna pull one out today!

Post a pic!

Here you go!

They have it with different options for what sort of wood. Not a hint of vibe in mine (in case you were wondering if the wood was an issue there.

2 Likes

Yes! They’re awesome…I don’t see them mentioned much, but they are excellent yoyos for cheap, and come in a lot of color options.

Good question!

1 Like

Personal opinion on this: it has been replaced by some of gentry’s throws. The shutter and replay.

2 Likes

I meant what has replaced it in YoyoJam’s product lineup, and what has replaced it as Andre’s tutorial throw of choice? At the time I originally asked this question I didn’t realize that YoyoJam was defunct. But I am still curious what Andre uses (or would use) for tutorial videos today instead of a Dark Magic II.

3 Likes

^^^^^^ @AndreBoulay

1 Like

Working on something ‘new’! :wink:

3 Likes

That’s a good way WH0THEEEEEEEEEMAN

1 Like