Responsive Question

I’ve been curious about this since I started again. Why is it that after using a responsive yoyo for awhile they seem to not be as good as when they are new. After lubing it seems for me atleast, it still doesn’t have the same snap to it and if I would lube it more then it would lose alot of sleep time than compared to when it was new and lubed. Is it the bearing going bad? Its happened to my whip, fh1, and passion. Don’t get me wrong I still like how all of them play. I just wondered if there is anything I can do to make them play like they were when they are new.

1 Like

String and Pads or new YoYos :grinning:

3 Likes

It can also depend on what kind of lube you use, and exactly what you want in terms of response and spin time. You’ll probably need to experiment a bit.

3 Likes

There could be a bit of a placebo effect in play, it might be possible that the yoyo’s response degrades gradually as the pads and string wear but it’s only after servicing the bearing that you pay special attention to how it responds. And that’s when you notice the degradation.

As mentioned, new pads, new string and finding the right kind and amount of lube should restore the yoyo back to near-new performance.

Ivan

2 Likes

I been curious if it could be the pads. How often do you change those? I recently lubed the freehand once and then added more because I been noticing when I try to flick it with my two fingers to wind it spins at the bottom and sometimes it won’t come up on the first couple tugs. It still is doing it even after lubing twice for some reason. I use yoyofactory thick lube. I change strings a little less than I should. Nothing major here just curious about this stuff.

1 Like

Sometimes the pads just get dirty (oily) from the lube, cleaning them with alcohol sometimes helps get more life out of them.

4 Likes

I’ve actually only changed one set of pads since I started throwing a couple years ago, and that was because one of the pads separated from the yoyo and forced me to change them. Granted, my playtime has been spread over about seventeen yoyos in that time so it’s not like I’ve got a bazillion hours out of one set of pads.

Ivan

1 Like

As noted above, new string and pads work wonders in many cases. Wiping the pads down with alcohol or lighter fluid can also improve them. I would avoid doing this with lacquer thinner as it can damage various types of pads compared to alcohol and lighter fluid. In any case best to test any of them first before you dive in head first.

2 Likes