Response pads and temperature help!

So I recently bought a new throw and the yo-yo is kinda responsive on me ?? It’s nothing major I was just a bit confused ?? Is it due to the response pads being new ?? Do you have to break in the response pads to make the yo-yo unresponsive again ??

I’m heading to a cold climate soon and the temperature over there is about 5-40 degrees every day and I’m concerned whether this temperature will affect my throws ?? Will aluminum be able to withstand this temperature without damaging the yo-yo ?? And what temperature does it take to crack plastic in cold conditions ??

Any answers to any of these questions will be very much appreciated thanks :grin:

1 Like

It’s probably the bearing. It probably just needs breaking in. Play it for a while longer and see if it gets a bit better. If not, you might have to clean the bearing.

6 Likes

^exactly

2 Likes

I live in the cold, lived most of my life in the cold, yeah, a bit cold hearted for sure. I actually carry a yoyo while I instruct skiing and I’ve never had a yoyo problem related to the cold. I have crushed a few but that’s on me or rather me falling on the yoyo. I’ve not carried a bimetal though, but it wouldn’t bother me to do it.

4 Likes

:sneezing_face: Bring kleenex. No need to worry about your yoyo’s.

I live in Rochester,NY and have a bunch of plastic throws in my barn. No issue. AL gets cold though!

Only thing you might want to watch out for is if your outside for a long time, your AL might sweat when you come inside. Moisture inside the bearing is not good. Even so, I wouldnt worry too much.

3 Likes

Ive found out from my experience that when i go outside in the cold my yoyo gets more responsive and when i warm it up its better i think its because some of the metal parts are shrinking and changing the response pads position verry slightly.

1 Like

Hm it’s more likely the cold is changing the viscosity of the lube in the bearing. Aka the cold causes the lube to thicken, in heat the lubricant becomes thinner. Metal doesn’t shrink enough to affect the positioning of the pads at temperatures you’re exposing the yo-yo to.

3 Likes

Ooookkk that makes more sense thanks!