Redacted - Post your thoughts?

My Pleasure!

When are you going to start leaking info about the new release?

2 Likes

Agreed! I think that is why I grab it whenever I am trying to learn a new trick… It just does everything well.

Yeah, that Purple Von Boom is amazing! I was lucky to snag it!

3 Likes

Probably in a month or so. We’ve got a forum contest giveaway coming up soon that involves it, so gotta let that play out first!

4 Likes

The Redacted for me is solid for me dead smooth the minute i tried it for five minutes i was hooked on to it. Now i have one its my go to yoyo when im out and about im definitely gonna grab another one incase i beat mines up

6 Likes

We need a larger quantity of von Boom`s this time. They sold out insanely fast.

5 Likes

I hear you loud and clear. We have an entire batch of them at the engraver as we speak :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Fantastic photos!

2 Likes

I just ordered a black one, and it’ll be about a week or so before it arrives. I’ll come back here after I get some time with it and offer my thoughts, but I’m pretty excited to try it. Seems to check all the boxes for me. I struggled with “needing” another throw, but ultimately, it seems to offer exactly what I’m looking for (GTX-like specs, though lighter), and I like that I’m supporting a small business. I hope this product puts you back in for good!

On the photography front, I think pictures can sell products and regularly do. In fact, it was the giveaway Redacted in black to Toasted Oats that finally got me to hit the order button. Simple shots, but it gave me a different angle with normal lighting. It just looks great! I haven’t done product photography before, but would absolutely help you out, if needed. I’m getting an 85mm this weekend for my birthday, and I’ll need something to shoot :wink:

One of the best reviews I saw was from one of your former team members—great marketing right there! He made a comment about having “standard” specs and how a throw might not jump out at you because it’s middle of the road on paper. Great shots (or at least ones that catch your eye) can boost your brand image and give you a chance where you might not have had one. Toasted’s shots did exactly that for me. I was going to pass and wait for a new drop of GTXs or maybe a GTR. That giveaway was terrific marketing and sold you at least one throw.

I’m glad you guys found your way back, and I’m excited for my new throw. I’ll give you my honest thoughts after I’ve had it for a little while. Best of luck to you!

4 Likes

Hi Dan,

First of all - thank you for picking up one of our products! I’m definitely dialed in to reading your thoughts once you get her and give her a spin.

Please share your photos once you get the Redacted, too! I look forward to it.

Thanks again.
-Wayne

3 Likes

I finally got it! Just in time, too, as our oldest came back positive and we’re all isolating together. I’ve had it about a week or so and have been actively comparing it to my favorites—the Iceberg, the Elevation and the Invictus. I’m not a professional reviewer nor am I a world champion, but I definitely have opinions, so here goes.

The good stuff:

It’s beautiful. I don’t care if that’s a consideration for being a good throw, but it certainly enhances the experience when you feel like you’re throwing a work of art. The finish is perfect and the steel rings really set off the black (I got basic black with stainless rings). I’ve got other throws (gold Elevation :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) that have imperfections in the finish, yet play fantastic. I also like the tasteful and minimal laser engraving of “Redacted” on one of the rims. Keeps it clean and sharp. Well done YYWS! On a related note, there’s two grooves cut into the profile that really enhance how it feels, sort of like the grooves on a Terrarian. I don’t know why this simple thing makes a difference, but it really does! I wish more companies would do something like that.

The shape is awesome and is part of why I got it. Love the organic H/V ish profile. I was looking for a metal version of the Iceberg (so I can throw it inside), and this is pretty close. Super comfortable and fast.

Like most everyone else, I found it to be dead smooth and powerful. It won’t out spin the Iceberg, but it has plenty of power, and I have yet to be left wanting. Another reason I bought it. Really great job on making a quality piece.

It’s a fast player that will do whatever you want it to. Nate said it has a commanding presence on the string, and I think that captures it. Light so you can get it moving (like the Iceberg), yet weighty enough to know where it is (unlike the Author or Air). It’s a fantastic player that’s made it into my daily rotation and will stay there. You won’t be disappointed with the performance.

There’s absolutely nothing bad about it, but if I was able to use it as a base to turn it into a signature throw, here’s what I’d change:

Just a hair wider. I find 46mm to be my favorite, and even though I love throwing the Redacted, it feels just a tiny bit tight. The three I compared it to are all 46mm, and I just find that to be the right size for me. Plenty of room without being too wide. The Shutter and Wangle are the same for me—too narrow and too wide. Like them both, but a 46 @ 64g would be the sweet spot.

Not really a big deal, but I’d probably change the cups, too. It has an interesting nub/spike kinda like a Hershey’s Kiss. I can’t really finger spin or do pull starts, yet, but dimples or flats seem to be better for me in that regard.

That’s it. I really like this throw and am glad I got to help a small business in achieving their goals. Hopefully YYWS is here to stay and continue to provide the community with fantastic throws! Get one if you can.

*I mentioned pictures in my previous post, but for now it’s just a phone picture as I type.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’ve really posted my thoughts on the Redacted anywhere, but I got to play with one for a few weeks a while back. I actually really like the spikes, and seeing the last post not enjoy them as much made me want to chime in.

The Redacted as a more rimweighted, performance oriented bimetal mostly stands out to me for two reasons. The first being that the shape is incredibly comfortable to catch and throw without really sacrificing anything in terms of playability. And second are the spikes especially. Sharp spikes on yoyos seems to be a rarity, outside of companies like G2 that are keeping them alive. But even in G2’s lineup, the yoyos with big spikes have much more angular profiles and are less comfortable to play (I still love the Banshee, so don’t interpret this the wrong way). The spikes on the Redacted were big enough for even my small hands to do pull starts, and matador style plane shifting and binds. They’re not tricks I tend to do often since they’re fairly yoyo specific, but the Redacted enabling things like that is fun and a huge unique aspect of it.

How some people like to categorize a yoyo as either “fun focused” or “performance focused.” The redacted is a yoyo that wants to be the best for both groups of yoyo players at the same time. For comp focused meta players who don’t mind a negligible peformance hit from the less flared out shape, they’ll get to enjoy a much more comfortable catch that their hands will appreciate after extended practice sessions. And for the casual players who want a comfortable yoyo in the hand with a light/pleasant feeling on the string, they get a yoyo that’s just more stable and spins longer than the majority of yoyos they enjoy.

As far as drawbacks(?) or general things that might make people not enjoy it. It’s not floaty though, and you feel the power/kickback on the throw, but once it’s on the string it’s light and nimble and has none of the sluggish heft that a lot of other outer rim bimetals tend to have. It’s comfy to catch and play which is all I think matters. The other minor drawback is that in general soft H (and normal H) shaped yoyos can be very hit or miss on finger grinds. For me and my small hands they’re great. If you have bigger hands or some meaty fingers though, you might find that your finger takes up the entire gap, which will just create a lot of extra friction during grinds. One thing that wasn’t really a drawback, but I kind of expected it to be was the steel rims not being blasted. I’m used to outer rimmed bimetals having super sticky rims that will kill the spin if you ever bump the yoyo against your hands or body during play. The steel rims are thin enough though, and with the overall curved shape of the rims, I found that any time I bumped the yoyo I was only ever making contact with the blasted aluminum on the rims, so it was fine. A pleasant surprise.

Yoyo spins good, I love the spikes, and it’s super comfy to catch with a great feeling on the string.

Note that I didn’t pay for a Redacted, but if I didn’t really enjoy it I wouldn’t have bothered to post this at all. It’s a nice yoyo.

6 Likes