Recommendations?

Im debating whether to buy A c3yoyodesign Di Base or a RecRev Sharp. Since they’re both around the same price, I could choose either or. But just not the wrong one. The other posted topics about these two on the forums didn’t really help. Which should I get?

Di base.

I have a Sharp and I love it. It’s a bit responsive but I think that I could put a different bearing in there(Terrapin X? You bet!) and maybe re-silicone it(I had it modified to accept flowable).

I’m also getting the Dibase soon. As in, I am hoping to place it on order in the next few days, along with a few other goodies/yoyos.

They are very different. V of the DiBase vs a more organic shape of the Sharp.

The Sharp is heavy and full sized, while the DiBase is midsized but is at a decent weight for it’s size.

The Sharp uses thin General Yo Hat pads, which I found to be ill fitting and rip out easily as a result of the poor fit. Even replacement sets had the same issue. The response recess is very shallow, hence the need for THIN pads. This is why I had it modified to accept silicone, which may have also taken a teeny bit of weight out, which is fine. The DiBase looks like it can take silicone if you wanted to.

The Sharp has a very small axle since it has no axle “nipple” area. Easy to lose. To ensure the axle has enough threading, the place where the axle goes is extended into the area within the inner ring of the bearing. The DiBase axle appears larger/longer so there must be more center-weight, where-as the Sharp seems to throw most of the weight to the edges. I could be wrong. I like how both look.

The Sharp is designed for “maximum string layers”, which means it has a very wide gap, almost the full bearing width. This is no doubt a large part of why it’s designed the way it is. the DiBase still has a decent gap of 4.27mm, which is still pretty big, so ideally you shouldn’t have problems with string layers unless you’re just going insane and loading that yoyo up for no reason other than to choke it.

Now, I like over-sized and heavy, but even so, the 71.3 grams of the Sharp can be a bit much after extended sessions for me. Oddly enough, the 73 gram Chaser plays like it weighs 65 grams. I know, the Chaser wasn’t an option. I just threw that in for comparison.

The shape of the Sharp I would think wouldn’t cater as well as for horizontal play, combined with it’s weight.

If it was me, and I know it isn’t, I’m taking a stab in the dark, I’m thinking the DiBase might be the way to go. Even though I don’t have one, I like the shape and the looks and the colors. I might break my “mold” and instead of going blue, go either red or bronze, but I do like that blue… who knows which way I’ll go.

Again, I do not currently have a DiBase, but I will hopefully have one very soon.

1 Like

Di Base

I’m all for making up your own mind, and not letting others decide for you, but personally, I’d take the Di Base.

I think you’d probably love either one, though.