Re: Yoyospirit's Modding Thread: Update 4/18/14 Hot Yo Chilli

Thanks! My powder coating jobs have actually improved a lot since!

They look fantastic from my vantage point! Totally smooth, awesome for grinds, super color texture. I’ve been very impressed.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k74/rigo311/P4042070_zps60805956.jpg

Awesome for grinds? Really?

Some powders will surprise the pants off you for grinding.

So the hubs for the Royale and Bassalope both started out as 12 inch long delrin rods. I cut the delrin rod into sections, and turned them on the lathe, and wallah! These two play great! Both have very little vibe when tuned correctly! Took a lot of time to do these, but well worth it. Btw, I want to give a shoutout to the ol’ modder Ricerocket! These were heavily inspired by his Franken Peak mod, I would have never gotten the idea otherwise! And to Jason Rodriguez, Landon Balk, and Kyo! These guys gave me a lot of advice with using the lathe! Thanks! And on to the mods!

The Bassalope had a messed up bearing seat, and a hub mod was needed in order for it to work, I could have gone the easy route on this one and just attached the hub through the back like I did on the Royale, but the problem with that is, I would not be able to put it into my pocket since the pressure would cause the hub to be pushed out of the yoyo, much like how when enough pressure is put on a YYJ Solid Spin yoyo, the insert pops out. Started off very beat up, decided to strip it, then powder coat it. I chose this pink color because it’s very good at hiding damage that was on the yoyo before.

On to the Royale. This Royale was actually one of the earlier runs. Had a vibe where I could not tune no matter what I did. I think it may have come from the wall being so thin, that the hub bent. Anyway, I actually attached the hub through the IRG of the yoyo not because it was easier to do so, but because there was not enough material to cut a lip into the face of the yoyo like on the Bassalope. Did this one as a small bearing since I thought it may play better so.

Nice. So did the hub mod get rid of the vibe?

Update, I can now rethread yoyos! Here’s a Supernova rethreaded for a 10-32 axle. Still plays very smooth!

Looks good. What’s the original axle size?

Pretty sure standard is 8-32 for American made and m4 for foreign.

Orignial axle size is M4-0.7 x 8mm

Which means it was made in china lol

Actually, I think the 2011, or American Made, run used the metric size too lol

That’s really interesting lol go figure.

Ok, so this Hot Yo Chilli was generously given to me by skitrz! Anyway, the Hot Yo Chilli had a ton of vibe, and it was not fun to play with. The bearing seat the Hot Yo Chilli uses is exactly like the bearing seat of the Anti Yo Bapes and Eetsits, so I suspected that’s where the vibe came from, since the only thing centering the bearing was the axle, and it was not doing a very good job of doing so. So I started by cutting the bearing seat to accept a spacer.

Only problem was, the axle was too thick to fit through the spacer! This was easily fixed by installing a threaded insert which changed the axle size to 6-32. The insert was then shaved down so the spacer could fit perfectly.

Pads installed and ready to give it a test run!

Came out close to dead smooth, and much more playable than before, enjoy!

Nice work. Looks very professional.

Thanks!

Great work!

Close to dead smooth? :o That’s amazing because it was as smooth as driving a four wheel drive over a a rock slide, with your eyes closed, in reverse.

Incredible work!

My father, who often says stuff like that, appreciated this comment.

Great job Yoyospirit.

Your father is obviously a man of exquisite taste and style! :wink: