Quotable #3: Light, Stable, Long Spinning, Plays Fast...

Maybe have 2 columns here - one for < $100 and one for > $100 throws :smiley:

Would it be a good first Japanese metal?

I think so.

I have heard nothing bad about the Drop Bear, ever.

As for an addition, Iā€™d have to chime in with the 2012 ILYY Fury. Contrary to what the YYE Page says, the 2012 version is 3 grams lighter than the original red version. I suspect most of the weight they trimmed off came from the rims because this thing is absolutely perfect. My Werrd Poo, which fits in at 62.1g, feels heavier than it.

If you really donā€™t want to add the 2012 Fury to the list at ~66.2g, Iā€™d be curious to see what others have to say about the ILYY Greyhound.

1 Like

No love for the sleipnir I see or even better would be the overdrive

The Mayhem is pretty good.

I donā€™t think anyone has mentioned the Phenom or Phenomizm yet. Both are incredibly fast, quite stable, and are pretty light. In fact, I found the Phenomizm too fast for my limited skills, and although I absolutely love lighter yoyos, the Phenomizm just didnā€™t feel right. The Phenom was a tad better, but still didnā€™t do it for me. I can see why one would like them, but my skills were too far behind the yoyo in the case of these two brothers.

M10ā€¦ Wrathā€¦ Draupnir. Those are the three major ones that come to mind.

Monkeyfinger Gelada is a great throw. 63g I believe.

Code 1 with ultralites?

You knowā€¦ you are abolutely right. I own one, but it is a YoyoExpert edition in my collector case, so I donā€™t throw it. But, when I first got it in the mail from another collector, I threw it once just to see what it was like. I remember thinking it was a very nice yo-yo, stable, and nice spin, but a bit too light for my taste. I didnā€™t check it for speed and whip it around a lot, just wanted to give it one throw real quick. I should revisit that one, for sure.

The funny thing is, some of these 63 gram throws feel light, and some not so much. The Drop Bear had nice qualities but definitely felt light. I will also revisit the X3 Aware when I get home. That is another light throw. I usually buy light throws as collectors, not to play them, so I rarely fully get to know them. I donā€™t remember what I thought of the X3ā€™s stability, spin and speed. I remember I thought it was cool for someone who likes light yo-yos.

1 Like

Just so Iā€™m clear lol this is geared more for these light throws that play anything but light correct? I donā€™t think a light attribute directly correlates with fast (which fast isnā€™t your top priority but still thrown in since such a throw with all the other criteria would exhibit a fast throw).

Did that make sense?

You have the right idea MLYYM. The ā€œspecsā€ will be lightā€¦say 63g, but it will not feel too light and have great stability and spin. Iā€™m mostly looking for throws I was ignoring due to specs, that I might actually like due to stability, spin and the fact that they donā€™t play too light after all. :wink: Iā€™m not to concerned about speed, but if it plays fast, it keeps things interesting. :slight_smile:

Ok. Just wanted to get that out in the open as I donā€™t think everyone understood the whole concept.

Thanks MLYYM. I probably confused myself too, because I want to open my mind to the lighter stuff, but not quite all of it just yet. When learning tricks, I find that some tricks are easier to learn with a heavier throw, and others with a lighter throw. Shape, width everything plays a part, but also, itā€™s nice to have a variety because learning never gets old. Sometimes just picking up a different yo-yo can encourage me to play longer, because it feels different. But, Iā€™d hate to lose that stability and spin no matter what Iā€™m throwing. While Iā€™m learning, I sometimes rotate through five or six different yo-yos. Once I get confident with the trick, I can land it on all of them equally well.

Have you thought about the Yelets?

Itā€™s 63.9 grams and I feel like it plays nice and heavy for its size and weight, plenty of rim weight and spin time. I can take it nice and slow and flow but it wants to go fast and be whipped around.

Ahh, I feel I may have misunderstood then. The Krown to me feels far far lighter and bouncier than the weight it actually is, but still has impressive stability and spin. Itā€™s also nice and fast. =)

From the YYE product page:

I think that there sums it up nicely. They aimed to make a light feeling but well performing yoyo, and thatā€™s exactly what they accomplished. Iā€™ve personally never played anything that feels like it.

Granted, Iā€™m not saying itā€™ll out-stable or out-spin a 69-70g rim weighted monster, but considering Iā€™m used to lighter throws such as my Supernova lite tilting or spinning out at the drop of a hat, I was very surprised by how stable it was for its (perceived) weight.

Also, it feels like throwing a cloud attached to a string. =P

I agree with your impression of the Yelets. I liked it when I first threw it, because despite the specs, it plays heavier than expected. But, there is something that turned me off from the Yelets that I cannot pinpoint. I want to say the width, but the Cafe Racer is about the same, and I enjoy that one. Cafe Racer almost got skipped due to the weight. It surprised me though. Strange thing is that the Yelets plays heavier, so I expected to enjoy that more than the Cafe Racer. It might be a shape thing. That throw is a mystery for meā€¦but good example.

Andā€¦no problem Gambit, itā€™s nice to know how these throws play, even if they donā€™t have all the elements, just some of them. If you hadnā€™t posted, I would not know much about the Krown, so it was very helpful. :wink:

Yeh, itā€™s tough because I donā€™t want to put too fine a point on how much I like a throw or how good I think it is because I wouldnā€™t want people to buy one off my recommendation and then be dissapointed if it wasnā€™t really their thing. Peoples hard earned money is at stake so everything should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Apart from the Rally that is. Everyone should buy one of those. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Monkeyfinger evil to