Quotable #2: Same Model, But Plays Different?

Oooo!!!

First do halves with axles. Then add bearings.

Are the bearings the same? If not take then out…

Bearings are stock, so it’s not worth the effort haha. I calibrated my scale with a 100 gram weight. Nothing interesting there, I weighed both with no string, bearings in, and they are the exact same 65.90 grams. :slight_smile:

Hmm…

Why would they be different? They shouldnt be different.

Do they play differently? Maybe they do befause 1. One has been played longer/nore 2. One got small ounce of vine from a ding 3. One was unscrewed more and axle was lossend and tightened. And so on.

Excuse my grammar im sleepy and need to go to bed xD.

They don’t play different in a bad way at all. One is smoother. As Yoyodoc pointed out, the bearing plays a role, so I will switch them out and play them both and report back. I have found the Center Trac can vary quite a bit. I like them, but I’ve gotten a few duds so far. Chief is often on the list of what plays different, but there are different weight Chiefs. I have two of the same version. I was curious what the scale would read on mine though. Nothing shocking to report. YYE says weight is 66, so maybe they weigh with the string on. :-\ I’m not sure.

Different scale? Gnight anyhow :).

So when you are sleepy, you forget how to Spell?

Uh, ok…

1 Like

Typing with your eyes half open is hard give him a break!

I feel the same about all of those. I have 3 888’s, and 3 Mutant DNA’s. I feel that my pink/orange/black mutant dna is kinda floaty, my purple and green is solid, and my red is smoooooooth. I can see why the 888’s play different, being different years, different models, different engraving, etc. but those Mutant DNA’s.

The runs of mutants weren’t back to back.

I think they were all atleast the same, if not there was only one run…

There was 2 runs for sure. One for the original DNA release in 2009 I’m pretty sure and another one for the current DNAs.

Very interesting observations, for sure. I pulled a muscle in my back last night, and never had the chance to revisit this little study, by throwing some yo-yo doubles and swapping bearings and so on. I have three Catalysts, all Harold Owens Editions. One is CRAZY smooth, one definitely not as smooth, but still cool, and one is somewhere in the middle. Boy that smooth one is in the top three of all my throws for smoothness. I don’t even know what to call it, but there has to be another word for it…it just feels great! The bearing swap test will be great for those.

Mutant dnas are different than DNA’s. None of mine are DNA’s, they’re all mutant DNA’s. I do have a DNA, and that plays absolutely fantastic for sure, but it’s not the same yoyo as a mutant dna, being lighter and floatier.

Two small runs of mutants one for each DNA release.

I’m going to compare guitars to yoyos here

So all guitars play differently. If you have two gibson les Paul’s made directly after each other. Same assembly, action, string, ect. They will sound different. The wood makes that difference. This might be true for yoyos I’m not sure. But I don’t think that there is much difference between rods of metal. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

I know that this is true for other musical instruments as well. I recently went out to buy a new trumpet, and was looking at 3 of the same trumpet. It is expected the different instruments will play differently even if they are supposedly the same, and when I was trying out the different trumpets, the trumpet I ended up buying was very different and had a different timbre than the other 2. So it would make lots of sense for yoyos to be different as well. No two things are exactly the same.