Quick comparison of YYR Overdrive Draupnir and YYF Edge Beyond

On Facebook someone asked me if the Edge Beyond is worth the price. Figured this forum might appreciate some quick thoughts comparing it to the Overdrive Draupnir.

— snip - - -

As with all yoyos, it’s very dependent on your preference. It’s a very nice yoyo, no doubt. It feels premium and plays very well. Smooth on string but not perfect glass smooth. For me, it’s also unique… I’ve not played with a yoyo with such extreme rim weighting pushed so far out to the sides. The design is performant, fast, agile and supremely stable. It’s more technical and not what I would describe as floaty. I can’t throw horizontal so not sure how good it is at that, probably awesome.

Compared to my other high end throw purchase recently, the YYR Overdrive Draupnir, it feels faster and more powerful, but for me personally I prefer the Overdrive. The Edge Beyond has a smaller catch zone, made trickier by the fact that the yoyo is so wide… If you catch on one of the big steel rings, you can knock it off balance. Also the response system takes more conscious effort to bind than the YYR. If you’re a competitive player maybe this doesn’t matter to you, but I’m a casual player and tend to prefer fun, floaty, organic.

I knew that the Edge Beyond is the complete opposite of what I tend to like but that’s why I wanted to buy it. Try something extreme, new and different.

So, is it worth the price? Depends on you. It could be a divisive yoyo, at least it is for me… I’ll probably keep it because it diverges from my collection. My advice is to try it first unless you already know you like these types of designs.

8 Likes

Overdrive vs. OG Draupnir?

2 Likes

Don’t own a Draupnir unfortunately so I can’t comment on the difference.

1 Like

I feel the same about the Beyond, I don’t pick it up often. It’s a really unique throw and I have to be in the mood for the way it plays, but I’ll never part with it. It’s not like the OG draupnir, which feels like a really high performance version of your typical V shaped yoyo, so its much more in my comfort zone. I’ll have an Overdrive in a couple days, I’ll update once I’ve had some time with it.

I’m trying to resist the temptation to pick up a 66% EB… but I really love small high performance throws. First world problems.

5 Likes

Overdrive Draupnir is just better than the OG Draupnir.

Not throwing shade on the original.

It’s just a simple result of Yoyorecreation improving on their own design.

A logical outcome.

7 Likes

I have to say the overdrive draup is the finest yoyo I’ve used for competitive play. It just does everything you want it to.

2 Likes