Questions on learning the Horizontal Finger Grind

Well, I’m trying to learn the Horizontal Finger Grind.

Two tutorials I am using are Horizontal Finger Grind Tutorial by Brandon Bole (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVXOTvnJYBc) and How to do Horizontal Finger Grinds by Brandon Vu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzJ8WNqZKJI)

The issue I’m having is when I pop the yoyo up it keeps bouncing off (and away from) my finger and I inevitably (and comically) start having to chase it around.

I’m throwing a YYO Rave and a YYF Horizon.  The Rave seems to bounce around more…  The Horizon feels heavier and a bit more controllable.

I haven’t heard or seen anybody struggling with this…  is this issue common while learning the H-Grind/Spin?  On YouTube everyone makes this look sooo easy…

??? Any advise on how to mitigate this?  (other than practice…practice…practice…)
What am I doing wrong?

Also, I’m switching the direction of my side throws to try and control the string tension, but my constantly having to contend with oscillating string tension is an additional obstacle.

This hobby is very fun.  Getting my butt kicked like this is the not-fun part.  *sigh

???  Is there anything I’m missing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

If the yoyo is bouncing off, like the second it touches your finger, your finger is too stiff. Try curving your finger so that you land on your fingernail, and ‘loosening’ it so it doesn’t bounce off.

As far as actual spins go, the horizon is great… If you know how. I don’t personally, the horizon is weird in the sense that it requires a knack to get long spins. Some people will pull 2 min finger spins on it. I can only get like 15 seconds. If you can learn that knack, then the horizon is your best bet. The rave looks alright for finger spins. I haven’t played one yet.

Binds? Yeah, I’m still confused on those too.

Can you thumb grind? just catch it at the same height/time as you do with thumb grinds.

After you pop the yoyo, when the yoyo reaches the peak of it’s flight, it’s the best time for you to put your finger in, the longer after that it takes it to reach your finger, the more momentum it will have and then it’s more likely to bounce when it hits your finger.

You can also adjust for this momentum like Shadowspectre pointed out, by keeping your finger somewhat bent and “absorbing” the impact.

Thanks for the feedback Shadowspectre and felipe.

I think my issue is that I’m not popping up the yoyo in a controlled or consistent manner.

No, I don’t know the thumb grind yet. Should I learn the thumb grind before this?
Also, I am aware I need to keep my finger bent…

When I finger or palm grind I pop it up to the same height-velocity-orientation every time. I’m thinking I need to bring that uniformity to this trick.