Questions for brandon

• As a professional thrower, do your practice routines, especially before contests, ever seem more like a job rather than just having fun? Your practice routine video seemed pretty exhausting. I can’t imagine throwing for more than An hour at a time and it not get frustrating or tiresome.

• Along the same lines, what is it like Helping create a company, design Yoyos, and do podcasts while also keeping up with your practice routines and progressing as a player and still having fun? I own a restaurant and I love my job, but sometimes, operating and managing seems to take away from the pure joy of cooking. It’s a tough balance for myself and I’m just curious what it is like for yourself balancing all that you do for the yoyo community, while also enjoying playing with Yoyos.

Thanks! And love your YouTube channel!

4 Likes

Hi Jhammond93!

1. Hmmm, that’s a interesting question… To preface this, In recent years I have really taken my eye off competitive Yoyoing. I’m don’t spend nearly as much time practicing as I once did. And compared to the guys in the competitive scene, I’m more pack filler these days than anything else.

However, I’d say that I did, and still kind of do enjoy hard practice Yoyoing sessions… almost in a masochistic kind of way? The best way I can describe it is like running a long distance like a Marathon, or doing something outside the current realm of your comfort zone. It’s painful, hard and sometimes even boring, but you kind of find yourself in that discomfort. Does that make sense?

1. Man that’s a really good question! And its something that I’m still trying to figure out myself to be honest.

I think an idea I use to keep burnout at bay is ask myself. Am I doing this for money/fame/recognition/glory/or any other external means of gratification, or am I doing this because I want to?

For me… If I’m going to be completely honest. My YT channel has become more about me trying to stay relevant in the Yoyo community at the moment. Therefore working on it feels like a total chore. I’m in the process of auditing how I can completely rethink the content I produce on it. Or perhaps even retire it altogether.

For the podcast however, right now, that’s effortless. I would make that podcast even if no one was listening. I personally gain so much from interviewing members of our community and it’s super easy to do that for the love of it.

I think for me changing up how I do what you find fun is critical for staying in the game long enough to make a meaningful contribution.

2 Likes

Right on man, thanks for the honesty btw! The “why am I doing this” is a good thing to reflect on for myself. Props on the hard work also. I’m relatively new to throwing, and your videos have been super inspirational. Especially the competition list. I’m in no way at comp level, but you mindsets, routines, and ways of practicing have helped me quite a bit.

Thanks for the response and thanks all that you do for our entertainment lol.