Questions about work for and in a yoyo shop

Hello guys,

I see this topic never get discussed (or I have found anything about it), I was wondering if someone know how and if is possible to work for and in a yoyo shop (like YYE for example but there are many around the world), as a shop assistant or in the stock room or for online orders or in general every other job that exist within the shop environment.
I dream to do something like that but I never understood how and I am sure I am not the only one that would love to make a living from something related to his passion.

If I can take the freedom, I tag @YoYoExpertEric that I think work for YYE.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That would be the dream lol

I have never personally worked in a Yo-yo specific shop, but I have been behind a local toy shop ordering Yoyos and selling them locally. That is probably your best way into working with the product.

I walked into to a toy store that had just opened in my town in 2007ish, and was shocked to see Profly’s on the shelf. Immediately asked to speak to the manager, threw a FHZ for him and had a job 20 minutes later. The manager had already set up a vendor account with Duncan, so all we had to do was place an order and in the mean time he taught me the toy industry. I would also recommend learning to juggle as well due to this will help you get that job we are speaking of.

Its so funny to think about because I finish my MBA in Feb but that would have never been possible if it wasn’t for the time I spent in that toy store. Our toy store ended up being apart of the 80th anniversary tour as well and was visited by Ringca and Seth Peterson. For a store in Arkansas, to have two rock star’s visit your town to sell Yo-yo’s…#wemadeit.HAHAHA

I promise you, there are people right now looking for our skills. It’s on us to journey to find them!

13 Likes

I can’t imagine there’s allot of money in working at a yoyo shop. Would be neat though. My retirement plan had always been to be a history teacher nice I’m done with this IT garbage but maybe a yo-yo shop would be neat.

Just keep in mind toy stores and yoyo companies are mostly small businesses. They have small teams of people and even smaller operational budgets. There are trade offs and benefits when working for small firms vs large and the biggest is usually pay and benefits and time. On the flip side every time I work for a small company I feel a sense of ownership and pride in what I do that is hard to find when working for a large Corp.

8 Likes

That would be fun but plan on getting a second and third job so you can pay your rent and eat.

4 Likes

We need a Dolly Parton Rockstar Yoyo collaboration.

2 Likes

yeah lots of folks in yoyo have a day job outside of yoyo…

3 Likes

I always assumed that too. It’d be a fun part-time job.

Where in Arkansas was this and is it still there? I live in Missouri.

1 Like

when i worked for toys r us in the early 2000’s, i was into yoyo and threw in the store when it was possible ( when working as a greeter mostly) but i don’t recall selling alot of yoyos generally… i didn’t love working retail but if it was only yoyos i’d be interested maybe doing it part time once a week just to have chances to play more with other people that are like minded… it would not be for the pay.

2 Likes

This. With most small businesses, it’s just a matter of approaching the owner or manager and having a conversation about if they’re hiring, if you have skills that would be an asset to the business, and if you can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the Toy Castle went out of business a few years ago. We carried the full line though minus a few of course but we tried our best to be the best that Arkansas had to offer

As far as pay goes though everyone is correct. You will start with a lower pay but chances are you will move up through your performance on the sales floor.

2 Likes

Thats sad. unfortunately allot of brick and mortar
and small business didn’t survive COVID and the ever-encroaching Walmart’s and big box stores and online retailers. Worlds changing and its only getting smaller…

1 Like

That’s too bad. So many kids are missing out on that magical experience of spending time at a big toy store!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the answers everyone, I thought every yoyo shop is at the end of the day a “little” reality and I know some of them do not have even a proper on street store.
I am from long time thinking to change my career and want to do something nice and I am passionate about instead of the usual “office jobs” that I did on the past 10 years, a juggling shop seems a good idea, we have a couple in London, one that bring also quite a lot of yoyos (not super models but the usual duncan also some metal and bimetals from them), it is a good idea probably to just go over there and ask!

5 Likes

Opening your own little boutique toy store would be cool. You’ll have to do online orders as well to stay in business probably. Have to sell other special toys as well.

The store that shall not be named in Colorado was always cool to go to.

2 Likes

Mate I wish but I do not have a cent or knowledge for an operation like that, always said that in europe we miss a Yoyoexpert full of all the brands (and why not as you said other skilltoys), my idea would be also open a bar or something similar with the shop where everyone can enjoy it, I was speaking with a friend and told me in China they have a similar place which should be so cool!

2 Likes

It would be an extremely risky business venture anyways. I would never do it lol. Just something to dream about.

4 Likes

I live in Chicago, the third largest city in the USA. The one store that sold yo-yos besides the XTs at the big box stores and the Duncan fixies at the old timey toy store had to close. There are no brick and mortar stores selling serious yo-yos or gear here at all and that is evidence of how difficult it is to run a business in this industry. Good luck to those trying and this is why I like to buy my yo-yos new. I can do the little I can to support the markets helping get yo-yos into players hands.

2 Likes

Happy birthday!

3 Likes