Question regarding Cold Fusion

Hi all

I’m looking for advice from you old school players who have experience with the cold fusion.

I purchased one brand new about a month ago, am enjoying the heck out of it, but there is one problem. Sleep time. It seems to lose its momentum very fast. My old used turbo bumble bee can easily do 60 second sleeps average. My cold fusion is averaging 30 seconds even with a good hard throw. I’m wondering- what could be causing this and what can I do?

I know it’s not the bearing becuase I’ve switched out some other A bearings into it and no difference so I can only assume it is maybe some interaction with the cork brake pad. But why? My bumble bee and bumble bee GT do not have this issue despite the brake pad.

Any suggestions??!!

1 Like

Sounds like maybe the pad needs breaking in? Those cork pads have a steep curve in response after a while in my experience. Like they spend a few spin/hours too grippy, probably months in the sweet spot, then become useless and almost completely unresponsive until they peel off the wall and ruin your life.

3 Likes

One of the… joys… of BPT was that it can be a bit picky with regards to placement. The tips of the cork need to very close or even touching the bearing but NOT TOO MUCH !!!

Leave a gap and it will be a string trap. Too much contact and it will drag on the bearing. Neither are good for sleep/non-responsiveness.

You should be able to finger flick the bearing freely when the halves are separated and it spin for a good time.

And as written before, they need a little bedding in time for responsiveness to hit that sweet spot.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip! It looks like you are right on point. The inside edges of the cork are contacting you the bearing more than I realized.

1 Like

Hey- I took the advice in mind and was able to actually get this thing playing the way it’s supposed to today! I took a very small gentle buffing/grinding tool that is designed for filing down my infants fingernails, and was able to gently take off a little bit of the inner edge of the cork pad. Now I’ve gone instantly from 30 second sleeps to like 90 second sleeps. Awesome!!!

4 Likes