Bring back Brake Pad Technology (BPT)

In the midst of just getting my first cold fusion and still loving my Turbo bumble bee I got a few months back, I just have to share a thought(hopefully the YoYoFactory guys will hear it or some other industrious person).

Bring back cork response pads!!! Now!!!

I understand the advancement in response systems with silicone rings, stickers, etc but man- the cork pads that playmaxx put on the scene have a feeling of play that you just can’t really get from anything else. I don’t really know why they disappeared from the market.

A side question- does anyone know details as to who Playmaxx contracted to make those old cork pads? And what the adhesive was that was used on them? Just curious.

2 Likes

Totally unhelpful side note, cork was used as an insulating layer for the Perseverance rover’s entry heat shield. So even NASA couldn’t synthesize a better product than the real deal!

I’d be curious to try cork pads too, just because I’ve never played with them before.

Ivan

2 Likes

Thick or thin ?

My issues with BPT were that they needed serious bedding in, were fiddly to install (lots of things to line up), could fall apart well before they wore out… I think friction stickers~pads~rings were an improvement overall.

6 Likes

I felt like this for a long while. Actually getting my hands on about 8 different modern responsives and the various responses in them showed me how break pads were not worth worrying about.

Would it be cool though to see a metal modern responsive with break pads, yes, it would be rad!

3 Likes

Lol, paging @edhaponik

3 Likes

You can buy small sheets of cork at the hardware store. You could make them using a sharp xacto knife.

4 Likes

What to use for adhesive though?

1 Like

I have a friend that siliconed his Cold Fusion. Worked quite well actually. Maybe worth a shot.

1 Like

3M used to make a spray adhesive that was similar to what they use on sticky notes. Haven’t looked in a long time but I’m sure there are a number of alternatives.

1 Like

As a kid I won a hyperwasp (rebranded turbo bumblebee I believe). Well I had no idea how to maintain the cork pads and ended up putting brain lube on them or something silly and they never recovered… Big bummer, but I’d like to try some cork pads again, this time with more caution.

2 Likes

It might be possible to use the sticker adhesive applicators that were used in creating chaz/baz pads, but I don’t know what the thickness limitation is for those. Something like the small Xyron create-a-sticker?

I don’t remember what it was called but late 90’s early 2000’s I found a yo-yo at a toy shop that was probably close to 50mm, aluminum, purple color. Had the cork pads. Anyone remember what the name was?

The only ones that should have been using BPT were the Ace and Ace II from Playmaxx.

EDIT: Or their Mongoose.

I believe it was the ace 2. Purple and black.

Cork pads were cool but they wear out a lot faster than silicon.

2 Likes

pads.

Check out these pads on el Mijo.

3 Likes

Yeah the el mijo has got a good thing going on. Amazing how versatile that throw is with the different bearings.

2 Likes