Question for those running Brass Ultra Light?

Let’s start by clarifying I am an OD fan, i just love their stuff and this is not a way to criticise, but a genuine question.

I was under the impression that UL were designed in order to keep the hub weight to the minimum, effectively favouring the weigh distribution towards the rims.

If they are made with heavier brass, don’t we lose the whole purpose?

So what’s the advantage of Brass other than looking cool?

1 Like

personally I like the aesthetic of the ULs

I use them in most of my onedrops

in some cases i wouldnt mind an extra couple grams while having a shiny golden side effect that looks a bit like a nut and bolt

also sometimes its fun to fingerspin in the hub

thats my 2 cents

2 Likes

So I myself just came to this same question recently. I’ve come to the conclusion that right off the bat you gotta know and accept that once u go brass ur willingly going in to heavy weight territory. So once ur good with the idea of ur Yoyo feeling heavy asf. Then u can start to play around with different forms of heavy. So essentially with brass ultra lights, those are gna give u the same version that normal ultra lights would just in heavy mode. Why would u want this? I thought about this a lot and I came to this….because yeah they look cool as f…:man_shrugging:

But!! I will say that once you accept all this and ur able to either hop onboard or it’s not gna be for u. But if it is, then eventually you’ll start enjoying going to heavy mode, don’t get me wrong sometimes it can totally ruin a Yoyo throwing experience. For example brass domes down write make some throws unplayable. But where brass domes are a bit too much, brass ultralights might be just the ticket. I’ve also noticed that brass will instantly make any Yoyo feel floaty. And if ur throwing with a decent length string this effect can be maximized nicely. Floaty doesn’t have to just mean light weight. Once u get into heavy weight territory yo-yos also become floaty…

Anyway this is just my two cents and all my personal opinion after asking literally the exact same question as u about a week ago on here.

4 Likes

Yeah, float is what I was hoping for! I went as heavy as I could with spikes and domes (on a second thought maybe I should have gone fore something mid weight)

Just checked the tracking, I got the feeling they will be delivered either today or tomorrow, can’t wait to them.

I must have missed your post! Going to have a look for it now and gather more opinions.

1 Like

No one has mentioned that using brass SE’s increases center weight, drastically changing the feel compared to other SE materials. Some people like having more center to mid or rim weight ratio, it can give the throw more of a mid to late 2000’s/very early 2010s feel, back before throws became more performance optimized.

6 Likes

I think “UL” is being taken too literally.

The brass version reimplements the UL shape to add to the overall number of weight options.

2 Likes

I think the point is all about small weight step increments. Here is a chart

Brass UL are close in weight to the coveted Anti-Yo SE

6 Likes

I like the extra weight on SE’s usually because I prefer the feel but I think brass UL’s are close to my limit, at least on the few I have (Panorama, Kamuraiju, Legendary Terrarian). I have brass domes and UL’s and I don’t really use the domes too often. The UL’s feel like a nice sweet spot on all of them.

There’s always a trade off. Extra weight on SE’s seem to add a little more power and drive at the expense of making it a little more tilty when you play sloppy. Aluminum UL’s cut out the center weight and make them feel more perfomant but lose a little spin power when the string rubs against the walls, in my experience.

3 Likes

Also, brass UL’s look classy AF

3 Likes

I like the look of the ultra lights and usually enjoy the extra weight of the brass. Also, like @Shapapy said, they “look classy AF" :sunglasses:

Brass UL’s are my favorite SE’s. :+1: :+1:

6 Likes