Do side effects noticeably effect play?

I know they have different weights, especially between the brass and aluminum. I have never swapped side effects. I assume if you switched out, for example, alta light aluminum for something in brass, it would change play characteristics enough to be noticable?

2 Likes

I think so. My Markmont Classic feels very different with the MC Brass, MC Aliminium and regular ultra lights. Sure it is all center weight, but, to me, it changes the ratio of center to rim enough that I believe I notice it.

1 Like

Which do you prefer in the mc? I assume it plays marginally better with the aluminum ultralights?

It really depends on my mood. With the brass, it is chill, with the ultralights, it can be as speedy as I want it to be. Right now, it has the brass in it. I’m enjoying just throwing and exploring what tricks flow into other tricks.

1 Like

I put Aluminum spikes in my 5000QV, and Brass Spikes in my OG Kuntosh. It really increased the justification for keeping both, by making them more different. Pretty much what French said about the effects on play characteristics.

I know a lot of people like heavier SE in the Parlay to chill it out, but for me on that yoyo, it took a lot of the fun out of it.

1 Like

Man I have got to track down an og markmont Classic or a some markmont side effects

The brass spikes are awesome, if you can still get those!

I would never try to make the parlay heavier. I am usually a fan of slimmer higher wall organics and I dig it just the way it is. If I want to play a similar shape that feels a bit heavier I grab my bape.2

1 Like

Most noticable difference for me is the difference between brass and aluminium side effects due to the weight difference.

I sure feel a noticable difference in my OG Kuntosh when I initially swapped out the flat cap aluminium side effects with energy domes which make the yoyo feel quite a bit more solid and hefty.

Yeah I think of it the same way – that even though swapping side effects changes center weight, where it also really counts is that it changes the ratio of center to rim weight.

For example, I got a 54 that came with brass domes which made it less stable with more center weighting than I wanted. With some aluminum domes it is 3.5g lighter than the brass and the difference in stability, bind returns at low RPM, and overall spin time was major.

It’d be cool to see an even lighter SE, like Al ultralights with an axle in titanium. Has anyone ever tried that?

What always surprises me is the difference that changing rim weight makes (like the Dif-e-yos or the Throw Cafe Boba with the grooves for o rings). However, it shouldn’t surprise me because I’m a nerd and I enjoyed physics :wink:

1 Like

Haha, likewise - nerding out over here. Just wait until I post later about a bunch of bearings and axles I weighed recently :nerd_face:

I’ve always been curious to try Dif-e-yos for their weight ring system. I had a YYJ Big Ben that I was messing around with by adding weight rings and it was a fun one to experiment with.

1 Like

The Throw Cafe Boba is similar (o rings to add weight), and seems to be readily available. That said, a few years ago, my son won Dif-e-yo at NER contest. 2 o rings and a pog on each side, lots of variation.

3 Likes

I would actually be interested to read a really long post about bearings :slight_smile: and maybe even axles :slight_smile:

1 Like

French changing his avatar from default a @twitch77 colour F to this one is throwing me off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had that F since I joined the forums. It was time for a change :grin:

1 Like