Question about trumpet valve oil

Hey everybody,
I was just wondering if trumpet valve oil would mess up a full metal yo-yo, the response systems, or their bearings, like the maverick, guerrilla 411, and katz meow, or if it is safe to use on them. I know it is not recommended for plastic yo-yos, because it can melt plastic.
Thanks,
keb

Trumpet valve oil can melt plastic???

I remember valve oil was one of the lubes that can be used. Along with sewing and gun lube.

1 Like

Trumpet Valve Oil is the same thing as thin lube, and will not mess up plastic or melt it at all. It works on metal yoyos too, as it make them unresponsive, and it better for the bearing so it’s not dry metal spinning against dry metal. It will also make your yoyo more silent. So it works fine.

1 Like

It works ok but use in MODERATION don’t add too much, VERY small amount

1 Like

Last I checked we put lube in our bearings. You aren’t pouring the oil all over your yo-yo or bathing it in it. You just put a drop in the bearing. As such, there is no need to worry about what lubricant you use.

1 Like

Thank you for your help.

The place I found out about the oil messing up plastic is, http://yoyowiki.org/wiki/Cleaning_a_Bearing just scroll down to “7. Lubricate the bearing”. I know it says it is not usually a problem, I just do not want to take a chance. So if it is safe in the full metals I listed then I will use it.
Thank you in advance,
keb

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, everybody. I am going to use it on my metals.
Thanks,
Keb

Um… From what I see, Yoyoexpert is hosted on the internet, so doesn’t this sound a little… ironic?

Well you do have to take everything with a grain of salt. Mythbusters is making a fortune on urban legend :slight_smile:

I think that’s only when used in large quantaties. Honestly, how much damage can a drop of lube do? And the article does mention that since the trumpet lube is IN the bearing, there’s very little, if any, of the lube touching the plastic, and that little amount shouldn’t do anything. I’ve used trumpet lube on my DM 1 a couple times, and it’s still there.

1 Like