Question about spacers and axles

Could one take a yo-yo which doesn’t use spacers, use a pair of spacers, and use a longer axle to compensate for the spacers?

For example, the Shutter comes stock with a 10mm axle. Could one take two 1mm spacers, and replace the 10mm axle with a 12mm one?

Thank you in advance.

@yoyodoc ?

Why would you want to

2 Likes

I, in particular, do not. I simply wanted to know if it we’re possible, if I had needed a wider yo-yo later.

You would probably run into issues with the bearing seat clearances going awry and possibly snagging string between the shell and the bearing, causing an instant return.

If you want to make your yoyo wider, look for a wider bearing. Depending on size, they do exist.

2 Likes

Most likely wouldn’t work… And jhb was sending you in the correct direction…

The primary problem is with the shim thickness you suggested. I would not call them ‘spacers’. I mean; I guess you could; considering they are technically spacing something. But depending on who you are talking to and what they are trying to alter; spacers would more than likely be identified as something wider…

Regardless; for the moment we will agree that spacers and shims are any washer type item that might be used to widen the gap of a yoyo.

You may be able to get away with using the same axle; even if you spaced out the gap about .040 per side.

That is not the problem; though. The problem is what jhb was talking about. If… ‘if’ you spaced the bearing out to .040(per side) the bearing would sit so high on the bearing seat; that there is a gap between the yoyo and the outer edge of the bearing. The consequence would be the yoyo string slipping right into that small gap and nothing good would happen from that point; onward…

You might be able to go .5mm wider on each side. But not much more than that before you start getting string jambs. And that would be with a bearing that has square outer corners. If the bearing you use has ‘rounded’ corners; that would literally guide the string right into that gap.

… It would probably be best if you just kept the Wide Shutter in stock form. And just pick out a thinner string to use on it.

You cant really solve the gap width without creating a situation that may be far worse then the one you may have already.

Sorry I don’t have any good news for you…

4 Likes