Question about Peak prices.

So it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I sold all of my throws except 2 (my KLR because I like it and it took a long time to find, and my Classic because it’s not worth selling). Anyway, I was thinking about getting a new yoyo since I’ve been playing with them a little more lately.

I just got on the BST and saw a post from someone offering $120 for a Peak. Before I quit checking my YYE account daily, Peak prices were in the $300-$400 range. Have the prices on Peaks dropped drastically, or are they still pretty much the same.

NOTE: I mean no disrespect to the guy who made the BST post. I am genuinely curious since I’ve never thrown a Peak, and if they have went down that much I plan to find one.

Well, like the real world market, the Yoyo market fluctuates. Right now, I’d say it’s safe to say peaks are a little cheaper than they’ve been in the past. It all depends on the peak. First run, which is OG and the original 28 stories, are expensive. Original 28 Stories once sold for nearly $700, but right now, you’d be looking at $400-$500. OG’s are always expensive, probably still $700-$800 plus not even mint.

Second run is probably your best bet. I could see Fools Gold or decent shape second run in the $100-$150 range. Second run painteds will still run you $600-$700 plus if near mint. Some colors like Frozen Mammoth and clown towns will still run you a few hundred if you can even find one.

Third run is considerably better than the second run, so I’d expect them to be a little more expensive. Peaks are at a low point now, but who knows, in a few months the price could be right back up. Good luck, I hope you find one.

They did drop a lot for 2 reasons.

1. It’s obviously a supply and demand thing. Less people desiring peaks will drop the price for a mint one down to $250.

2. (Likely the cause of #1) Is the good promoting CLYW has been doing on their ask.fm page to help show their fans that there’s a reason the Peak has been discontinued, for it is far inferior to the more modern yoyos they now produce.

Peaks are so over-hyped it’s not even funny. No offense to CLYW at all, since they’re putting out some great yoyos right now, but the Peak is just nothing special.

Do people buy Model-T’s to race with?

2 Likes

or spend $30 extra dollars on a cool new colorway for absolutely no reason other than to spend money?

Reality is, peaks play very well. Don’t get me wrong, peaks don’t play nearly as good as CLYW’s new throws, but for their time, they played amazing. Alex Berenguel, Boyd Seth, and others used peaks to win multiple contests. If you haven’t played a peak, you really can’t judge it.

I’ve owned multiple peaks and played plenty. Gonna say it wasn’t that amazing to me compared to some of the other throws I owned at the time. I was one of the few that liked the BVM more. Then again I was obsessed with undersized yoyos and it’s all preference ;D

Honestly, if you’re going to pick up a peak, do it now. In six months the price could be double again. They always eventually go up.

I don’t know if this helps but I got a very near mint hulk smash peak for 180 about a year and a half ago.

Do people talk about how great Model-T’s are on the road?

I’m fine with people paying egregious amounts on Peaks for collectability’s sake. Just don’t say that they play well.