Puffin Spin Times

I have 2… For me they spin fine… No issues at all. I also find the puffin to be very stable too… And that is with a flat bearing.

Thanks for the quotes, but I would have preferred links so I could read the reviews.

With reviews going both ways… I wonder what’s going on. Mine is fine. Everyone who has played it loves it, and those who didn’t, it wasn’t due to crappy spin timses, it’s because it’s not a good fit for their preferences.

I will say this:
I’ve had lots of yoyos with bearings that needed bearings cleaned from the get-go. I don’t mind doing that. It does get a bit old but if it needs to be done, it will be done. However, I don’t know, maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve never had an issue with spin on my Puffin unless I’ve done something bad or wrong.

I’ve also had nothing but positive results with CenterTracs. It’s not my absolute favorite bearing but it’s an item that’s never given me any problems.

One more question: is the puffin a good first CLYW?

Sure it is! It captures the CLYW spirit pretty darn well. Combined 2 of the flagship models and you get a beast yoyo!

sweet! i might get a puffin then. lol

Click on the red “Quote from…” line above the quotes to go to the reviews. Just thought I would give you the option of an assessment at a glance. :wink:

Cool. I was not aware it did that. I will do that later(as in not very long from now).

Learn something new every day. Thanks for pointing that out. That’s much appreciated!
(no sarcasm implied. I actually did not know that, and now that I do, that’s really cool!)

No.

Depending on your preferences, any CLYW can be good. There’s the Avalanche and the Gnarwal. I prefer the Avalanche over the Sasquatch. The Peaks are good, but only if you really work well with it. Preferences. The AC and Chief came before the Puffin and those are some amazing yoyos, maybe some of their best work to date. The BvM(original) is OK, not a favorite of the CLYWs I have but still decent. The Wooly Marmon is a fantastic player. The Campfire is good when I really want that undersized thing, probably one of the better undersized yoyos out there in my opinion.

Awesome, I didn’t know this either. haha. ;D

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

No.

Depending on your preferences, any CLYW can be good. There’s the Avalanche and the Gnarwal. I prefer the Avalanche over the Sasquatch. The Peaks are good, but only if you really work well with it. Preferences. The AC and Chief came before the Puffin and those are some amazing yoyos, maybe some of their best work to date. The BvM(original) is OK, not a favorite of the CLYWs I have but still decent. The Wooly Marmon is a fantastic player. The Campfire is good when I really want that undersized thing, probably one of the better undersized yoyos out there in my opinion.
[/quote]
Why not? If I’m looking for a fun, floaty yoyo, is it a good choice then?

Why not? If I’m looking for a fun, floaty yoyo, is it a good choice then?
[/quote]
Sorry meant to put studio’s post in quote.

The spin times on the Puffin actually suck.

I can only get like 10 minutes of spin compared to 15 minutes with my Chief. That’s a whole 5 minutes! I could make a sandwich in that amount of time…

Hey just saying but ten min is a REALLY long time for a yoyos spin time. Who cares if it doesn’t spin quite as long. It’s still TEN minutes.

yoyoguy345… can’t tell if you’re being funny or not. :wink:

I personally think the Puffin would make a fine first CLYW. Their stuff that I’ve tried runs a whole range of styles, so it’s not like any one yoyo encapsulates the whole company. You like stable and floaty with a bit of an “organic” vibe to it, there’s not many yoyos doing it better than the Puffin, IMO!

I think without knowing anyone’s preferences I would still place the Chief as my “no brainer” CLYW recommendation, but the Puffin is a fantastic fun yoyo.

:slight_smile:

Thanks… :slight_smile:

That’s not funny. I’m waiting for dinner and that’s making me hungry.

I’m gonna go throw my Puffin so I can cook an egg.

haha :smiley:

Reviews are all over the place, it would help if there was some standardization for some things. For example, the Puffin spin times… are we just throwing it down and watching it sleep, or playing through a combo? Big difference. And another big difference is the skill level of the thrower, naturally. Some yoyos are easy to deal with, like coasting on autopilot with a YYR. Others require more attention, like the Puffin. Spin times are perfectly serviceable but you have to know what you’re doing. I wouldn’t recommend Puffin as a first CLYW unless you’re more experienced, but it is dope, one of my favs.

^ this

I haven’t tried the Puffin so my opinion only counts for so much. However the Chief fits so well to most people that it’s been met with almost universal acclaim. If you own another CLYW and are wondering whether to get a Puffin as well, then that’s another story. However if you’re buying your first CLYW then the Chief really is a fantastic one-size-fits-all throw that represents some of the best that CLYW has to offer.

Just throwing it down and letting it sleep.

I’ve been throwing for 1 year and almost 4 months. Am I “experienced enough” to get a puffin? I usually throw YYF but I can get through 45 second combos that are decently advanced. I’ve gotten an 8 min sleeper with my Supernova…