PSA: Change your gloves, nasty!

If you are wearing gloves as a mean to protect yourself, be sure to change them. Be aware that using the same pair all day does not protect you. It makes you a magnet for germs and you spread them every time you touch something. Don’t be ignorant.

Be courteous to others. Inform yourself on cross contamination.

And change your gloves, you nasty!

5 Likes

true, but it would be much better to wash your hands thoroughly and often with a highly alcoholic solution, alcohol such as heat denature the protins of the viral membrane …
this, it benefits safety and less environmental pollution (given by the plastic of disposable gloves)
You rightly started by saying “If you are wearing gloves”, it is not my intention to correct the very right things you said, I used your thoughts for a further reflective idea. :wink:

1 Like

I absolutely agree.

My concern is the general population that I see wearing the same gloves all day to touch everything.
Pretty sure they are doing more to contribute to the problem than to help prevent its spread.

Wash your hands often should be a no brainer. But so should cross contamination.

2 Likes

Watched a brief video yesterday that gave a good visual and common scenario while we’re out and about running errands…

We all tend to grab our phones while we are shopping and not thinking twice about what we picked up. Gloved or not, good idea to wash hands before we check that text.

And yes, the discarding of spent gloves on the streets/sidewalks…please, just don’t.

2 Likes

when I was in the Navy, I was a nuclear operator. as such, we were trained in chemistry/radiological controls which included clean up of radioactive spills and contamination. (FWIW, I never had to clean up an actual spill). but, the “fun” training that the instructors liked to do was how to take off your “contaminated” gloves/clothes after the simulated spill cleanup. they would squirt some shave cream on your gloves and have you smear it around a bit. then you had to get the gloves and yellow suit off without getting any of the “radioactive” shave cream on your skin. if you did, you failed because you would have contaminated yourself (which is bad). this was no easy task.

the point is that, like the OP stated, if you’re wearing the same gloves all day, you are spreading the germs/viruses/whatever all over the place. also, if you aren’t taking the gloves off correctly, you are further spreading the stuff everywhere. most anyone who hasn’t done this activity in a training environment will have no shot at removing the gloves safely and will give themselves a false sense of security by wearing the gloves.

the key to this pandemic is, don’t touch your face. wash your hands often. wear a mask (non-surgical) if you’re sick to prevent spreading your germs. keep your distance from others.

we will get through this if we’re careful and mindful of our situation.

stay safe everyone. spread love, not corona.

kgb

7 Likes

Standing ovation!

As someone in the field I also agree that the probability of your average person taking off gloves properly is probably really low. Its second nature to me now, but there is definitely a finesse to it.

3 Likes

having worked and studied in a lab environment, i can attest to this. i was talking to a bud the other day, and he said he saw a woman removing her gloves with her mouth. at that point, you may has well have licked the shopping cart handle.

3 Likes

The cherry on top is when the same ignoramus wants to know if you are following safety protocols.

2 Likes

or leaves them in the shopping cart :man_facepalming:

2 Likes