(Probably Nevermind, sorry) Anyone Able to Help me design a PCB from a drawn diagram?

Hi all. I am looking for an assist. I don’t know anyone locally who has the skills to help. I want to make a little fuzz box for a few of my friends for Christmas, but I want to be able to assemble it and house it myself. The easiest way I can tell to do that is to get a PCB made, through something like PCBWay. Regrettably I lack the skills to decipher the schematic and design the board. Here is the diagram, and the video of JHS’ Josh Scott talking about the idea behind it. I understand I will not likely be able to find the exact germanium PNP transistors he used, but I’d like the circuit to be the same.

If you can help me out getting the PCB made, and maybe even a parts list, I’m happy to give you one once they are all made. Depending on final size, I may be crocheting the enclosure… more on that later. I am not asking anyone to pay for anything. That’s all on me.

4 Likes

Wow, that is cool. I’ll ask my brother where he was sourcing parts for my vintage Fender amps. Lot of that stuff is being reproduced. And that shop in Japan was killer, we used to have similar places in Sac and Bay Area when I was in college.

2 Likes

It’s been a loooooong time since I had any relevant EE experience, but the circuit diagram looks pretty easy to hand wire and the preview thumbnails shows a standard breadboard. Why not hand wire?

2 Likes

Mostly I want it to be sturdy and have zany plans for enclosures. Ditching the idea though as I found an easier way to achieve my goal. I will likely look to hand wire one of these for myself at some point, but the FriendFuzz will be a much simpler and cheaper idea (below), inside a silly enclosure. I will definitely post to the musicians thread once any of them are functional.

If anyone knows how best to attenuate the out audio on these (just a resistor before the out+ or something? idfk I ain’t no scientist), I’d love to hear it!

Thanks @KorinaMcCarty for stopping by!

1 Like

There’s websites that sell the PCB’s to different pedals, however I don’t know about finding the specific pedal you linked.

I’m just assuming you could figure out a way to get a PCB similar to the one you want, grab the supplies, then enclose it in anything you want.

2 Likes

Intriguing! I will keep this bookmarked.

If you want to follow Josh’s pedal schematic (or any other basic design), a fuzz is a simple enough design that you could easily make it (fairly cleanly) with a small pcb strip board without having to design and print a custom pcb, especially just for a one-off. I’ve only dabbled in guitar pedal design so I can’t say for sure what the best way to design it would be, unfortunately. But, I do have a ton of pedal components, jacks, pcb strip board, a few aluminum housings etc going unused right now. If you’d like I can pull together what I can for parts. I also might* actually have some vintage germanium transistors in storage, but I’m not 100% sure if they match Josh’s pedal all that closely, plus not sure if they’re npn or pnp or what exact values they are either but I’ll check if you’re interested in those as well.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll see how the quick and dirty goes first.

1 Like