Price and performance

Hey guys. Is there much difference in performance between say a 20- 30 $ yoyo and a 50- 60- 70 $ yoyo . Your feedback appreciated. Any and all comments wanted

2 Likes

Not really, unless you are throwing plastic.

2 Likes

This can not be answered with a simple yes or no. From my own experience anyway. I have a couple $60 yoyos that underperform a bunch of my $20-30 yoyos and I have $60+ yoyos that put $20-30 yoyos to shame. I think it comes down to skill level. A very skilled thrower can make a $20 yoyo seem like the most awesome yoyo in the world…

9 Likes

No, not necessarily. An inexpensive yo-yos specs may just click with you pushing it into your favorites.

2 Likes

Right! More expensive does not mean you will like it more or that you will find it easier / better to do tricks with.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was meaning metal

Well, this is not a simple question to ans but heres mine.
The performance of the yoyo might depend on the price. However the skill of the yoyo player matters way more. For example, gentry can win nationals with replay pro becuz he has the skills, evn tho the other ppl competing were using much more expensive yoyos that no doubt has a higher performance.
At the higher price points of yoyos the yoyos performance difference matters even less, cuz at the high price it already very gud. The performance difference only increases at the lower price points. By that i mean, if you give someone lets say 10 dollars to make a yoyo and another 20, it is more likely that the 20 dollar one will play better vs if you give someone 100 dollar and another 200 dollar, thers no saying which one will be better.
To conclude, price can make a difference in the performance of the yoyo, but a players skill matters way more

4 Likes

Ta. What are the 60$ yoyos that put the $20 yoyos to shame if you dont mind me asking

1 Like

Yeah right.

1 Like

Thanks

Very interesting . Well put. Thanks

Like I said, in my own experience. I won’t diss any yoyo here because it’s all based on my own skill level and experience. My most expensive yoyo, Top Deck, out performs any $20 yoyo I own and my $30 Silenus, I prefer to some more expensive yoyos. When I say “out performs” I only mean out performs within the realm of tricks and elements I can do. I’m feeling a little dizzy…

5 Likes

This…

3 Likes

Hey im not wanting you to dis a yoyo just wanting to know your take on good performers. Not meaning to make you dizzy

2 Likes

I was making myself dizzy, not you. I can’t add anything else here except string can make a huge difference with performance. Sometimes I will use a string a yoyo came with and feel luke warm about a yoyo and then when I find the perfect string I’m like “awww, yeah!” My One Drop Top Deck I find is easiest to learn things on or when I just want to switch off my brain and fly through things I know because it seems to synch up with me and help me succeed. That cost me $99 because I got the deep sea fade (2019).

2 Likes

There is joy to be found in a lovely thing just for being lovely. I have some spendy throws that certainly don’t perform any better with me on the end of the string than a lump o’ mass produced plastic but they have a sense of occasion, a hard to define attraction, that you might find well worth the extra money.

If you are expecting to buy performance or that more money = more tricks then you may be in for a rude awakening.

4 Likes

Yoyo design and weight distribution have more to do with performance than price. And yoyo design doesn’t inherently have a price attached to it. You’re paying for specific designs and materials that are different, not objectively better. It’s why so many good players compete with aluminum monometal signatures. It’s the design of the yoyo that matters most, not the price or material.

Metal yoyos will almost always outperform monoplastic yoyos, but once you’re getting into the 30+ dollar metal yoyo range, you’re just paying for different design characteristics. There’s a lot of monometal aluminum yoyos (e.g. YYF MVP3) that are more heavily rimweighted than the a lot of bimetals. The bimetals are just using the steel rims to achieve a different weight distribution, they aren’t exclusively being used to have maximum rimweight. The Top Deck is another good example of how far you can push the rim weighting of aluminum.

7 Likes

Any trick I can do with a $300 Titanium, I can also do with my $15 Magic Yoyo Sharks Honor.

However, the speed and ease of the trick, can be dependent on design.

Personally, my $50 Kapital allows me to learn tricks faster than my Titanium; it also is more reliable for landing tricks than my Sharks Honor.

I would say the $30-$70 range is best for a good quality throw at a good price. Most throws anywhere in that price range, if they are similar weights, distributions, and shapes, will play nearly the same.

“Performance” is not a defined metric in yoyo, is it, anyone? “Spin time” can be measured, “stability” is pretty easy to observe once you’ve tried a variety of yoyos, “float” is a little more nuanced and has not yet come into focus for me personally.

There are a lot of threads going back more than a decade here asking similar questions. Price does often correlate with quality, but not always, and how well a yoyo “performs” is determined by what you’re looking to do with it.

So, what kind of throwing are you doing and which yoyos are you looking at?

If you’re looking for the best value for money metal yoyo, that’s a question people have fun answering and you’ll find a lot of agreement. If you want the best “competition” shaped bi-metal under $150, the list will be pretty long. Best organic under $100, same. And so on.

3 Likes

generally speaking yoyos that cost more will have higher quality machining, higher quality finishes, higher quality anodization, but performance is something that is more dictated by the design than the manufacturing processes.

2 Likes