Price and performance

Sometimes you’ll get better grade aluminum or delrin, better anodozing/blasting, better bearings, more prolific brand, ect. But any trick I can do on my MCMO I can also do on my horizon or shortcut. Gentry won the championship with a replay pro one year, and that’s only 16 bucks. It comes more down to skill and practice than just the yoyo.

3 Likes

Right. Performance for me just means what yoyo I enjoy the most because it seems like I am best with it and glides easily through what I know how to do.

Moral of the story: price doesn’t make any difference in performance. You’re paying for the design, materials, and craftsmanship.

In short, go buy some One Drops :grin:

1 Like

A pricier yoyo will usually have a nicer feel, but there’s plenty of exceptions. MagicYo, TopYo & AceYo all make some very nice throws in the 25 range, and sometimes less. But most of my favorites are middle priced.

1 Like

If you’re talking about objective performance, that is to say, stability and spin time, then no. The performance of a yoyo depends heavily on the design of the yoyo, not on the price you pay for the yoyo. The $15 MagicYoYo Y03 Hertz will outperform the $130 A-RT Grail any day of the week. Heck, it would probably outperform the $400 Enso UI.

Gentry Stein winning Nationals with a cheap $16 plastic Replay Pro tells you that the difference in performance between cheap and expensive yoyos really isn’t that huge. In fact, it diminishes greatly the further you go up in price. At the $40 mark, you would have unlocked bimetals like the YYF Bimetal, the MagicYoYo Z01 Focus and the MagicYoYo Bi. After that, you would get into hybrid territory at the $70 mark with the iYoYo Iceberg. Going up more in price, there really isn’t a lot of yoyos that will outperform the iYoYo Iceberg by a huge margin. The difference in performance is tiny between the Iceberg and yoyos more expensive than that (that are built for performance of course).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.