POPStar Problem

Hey guys, just wanted to write this because I don’t want the same thing to happen to you.

So I just got my POPStar and I was really excited, I really love the AIGR on one of my other yoyo’s so to see if it made any difference in play I took it off and put it on the POPStar. I had some trouble getting it on with just my fingers so I put it on as hard as I could and then just screwed it together. I threw and was really satisfied with the increase in smoothness and spin time! So after a few throws I decided I’d save up and get a new AIGR later and in the mean time I’d put the one I had back on my other yoyo and then just use the SPEC that came with the POPStar on the POPStar until then. That’s when my problem started.

I took my needle nose pliers (which worked perfectly fine for getting the SPEC off) and tried to get the AIGR off, it wouldn’t budge. I tried for literally half an hour to try to get it off but it didn’t move at all, so I figured squeezing a bit harder wouldn’t hurt the bearing so I tried that. After a few minutes it still hadn’t budged at all and then I heard that sound CRACK Me: “Oh $&*#%”. Yeah so it cracked, BADLY, after the outer shell just fell off I cried for a little bit and then realized I still had to get the center part of the bearing that actually attaches to the yoyo OFF the yoyo. Since I didn’t really care about hurting the bearing anymore (seeing as how it wasn’t really a bearing anymore) I just pulled and pulled my hardest but it STILL wouldn’t come off! I eventually figured out I could pry it off with a flat head screwdriver and that worked with a bit of work. Luckily I actually didn’t hurt the POPStar in the process at all so I put the SPEC back on and just played with it like that. I miss my AIGR Sad

So the moral of the story is: Don’t put an AIGR on a POPStar, IT DOESN’T FIT (even though technically it should be since it was a size C and so is the SPEC).

Happy Throwing – Hadoe

This is more just ever-so-slight variances in the bearings and yoyos. No they aren’t all -exactly- the same size. A difference of .001 inches could be the difference there (although the tollerances are probably tighter than that).

So what am I supposed to do if I want to put a new bearing on my POPStar later?

I had the same problem. I found this thread, which answered most of my questions.
http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php?topic=65524.0
I emailed YYF, and they sent me a great little bearing remover FREE! They will definitely understand.

In the future I would suggest putting the yoyo half that has the stuck bearing in the freezer for about 20 minutes, then when you pull it out see if you got any leeway to get it off, if NOT at that point take an old string and lay it across the bearing and screw it together, this should force the string to be under the bearing inside of the opposite seat, afterwards, unscrew it and pull of the string, it should pop the bearing right out. Now as for the bearing remover, I need to find out how to get one of those :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: I get stuck bearings ALL the time. As for what Brian (Apetrunk) said, my two best friends work at Machine shops and believe it or not a human hair is .002 inches in thinckness. A lot of the tolerances of most mechanical items (at least the ones they work with) have a + or - .003 to an unheard of .0001 tolerance, this means that a part is good so long as it is only that much off. While it can certainly be measured we as normal consumers will NEVER be able to eyeball that difference. I don’t really know where I was going with that statement anymore but just be aware, even though they are the same size, they really aren’t so everyone should keep that in mind. :smiley:

Thanks for the help guys, I will definitely try contacting YYF and see what they say. Also thanks for the tutorial on the freezing method d4rqk0n3!

heh no problem, I forgot to mention why it works though so let me do that in case someone asks. The bearing and the yoyo are made of two different types of metal, because of that they have different temperatures in which they expand and contract, this will allow the aluminum to shrink up before the bearing does therefore allowing it to release easier :smiley:

I’ve been having problems with my POPstar too.
She shaves her head and started dating a backup dancer. WHATDOIDO?

Post some pictures of that please!

Lol, thank you for cheering me up a bit :slight_smile:

i’ve been having some problems too. when i throw it, it sounds high pitched and girly.