popstar problem

I hope this is in the right place…
I got my popstar almost 2 weeks ago and have had no issues. I’ve been throwing it today for about 2 hours now, mainly trying to get the double or nothing down. At first I thought that since I was mostly focusing on landing the right string, etc. that my throw was getting weak, because the yo-yo was dying before I could barely finish the trick, but that was not the case. Even when I give it a nice strong throw it will only sleep for a few seconds, then tip over and stop. It also has become a lot more responsive and will return almost every time I tug it which it almost never did before. I took it apart and the motion on the bearing (that is the metal circle with YYF on it right?..sorry I know I must sound so naive.) isn’t smooth, it’s…choppy. What is wrong and what can I do? :-
Thanks!

It sounds like something got into the bearing, and is causing it to be responsive. I suggest cleaning the bearing. It’s not hard, and here is a video for you. Good luck and I hope this helps. Happy Holidays :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Is adding the lube optional? I only have thick lube at the moment…
I shall get to work! 8)
Happy Holidays to you too!

A small drop of thick lube won’t hurt you. :wink:

Lube is optional, but most people swear by it, I myself run my yoyos dry (to include the Popstars) If you have a can of compressed air it works well to make sure the solvent (mineral spirits or lighter fluid) is fully evaporated and doesn’t let any residue buildup in the race.

Don’t take off the shields of the SPEC bearing before you shake it up in the mineral spirits, it may break if you do that, just speaking from personal experience.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Just a question, did you shake the bearing in the solvent like you would shake your friends soda, or nice and easy? I personally don’t shake the bearing hardly at all. Like once or twice then I let it sit.

I shake the crap out of mine, no problems with them falling apart. Just sayin’

Thats how a man does it.

I shake the crap out of mine, and if the shields are off it falls apart. That only goes for CBC bearings though, never had a problem with any other kind.

I’m sorry that happens to you, again I have -never- had a problem with that happening. CBC CenterTracs are my #1 favorite bearings, all of which I have deshielded and completely dry, and I am not gentle whatsoever with them during the cleaning process. Again, ymmv I am just trying to point out that just because it happened to you does -not- mean it will happen to others. So, people, feel free to be as gentle or as rough as you want with your bearings when cleaning them. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just speaking from personal experience here.