Poor Person's Seamless Photography

Hey everyone, just wanted to share an easy, cheap photography set up for your throws. I do this each month for the subscription strings and it is super simple. Total cost (not including your phone or camera) is around $0.50

You’ll need:

• Kitchen Chair
  • Some tape
  • White poster board
  • The sun
  • A cell phone

Optional items include a cell phone mount and upside down trash can lol

You’ll need an overcast sky for this. If it is sunny you can find an overhang like a porch or large umbrella to provide even shade. Or wait until the sun is about to set for more stylized results.

The result after some light color correction

I have a Pixel 4A which is a very mid phone, so you don’t really need the latest greatest for this. Let me know if you have any questions!

28 Likes

Sunlight is definitely the key! For photos that I want to put some more effort into, I have a couple PC case side panels, one silver and one black that I use as the base for photos. I take those outside. I have to do more of an upward angle to not capture the background, but it works.

1 Like

OMG thank you!

1 Like

This is my take on yoyo photography (broke edition)

9 Likes

Nice! Great lines, love it

1 Like

Thanks! Also I forgot to mention I crank up the exposure from my smartphone to hide the seem lines from the white papers to make it look clean.

1 Like

I wondered how you kept the strings taught in that pic! I was imagining 4 people huddle around the yoyos all holding strings super still until you got the shot

2 Likes

It’s was a one man job and I quickly figured how to achive this method after I analyze the original photo from Instagram, but yeah all it takes is to have an anchor point (pins) to hold the strings intact and you can re-arrange the yoyos and the string whatever you want (just go crazy with some ideas) plus tilting the drafting table an little bit (brown ply board) for gravity.

And after that you got the subject! MMMONEY SHOT BABYY

2 Likes

Lol that’s actually a different technique aside from the lighting. I did have 4 assistants standing behind me but didn’t want to give away the big secret

1 Like

Which part costs 50 cents? :slight_smile:

And nice pics!

1 Like

Just the poster board! This is also assuming you have a kitchen chair and some tape I suppose

2 Likes