POM Draupnir... weird noise

Hello,

So I’ve had this throw for around 8 months, but not thrown it an amazing amount (probably couple hours tops). However, recently it has been making an incredibly loud screeching sound when spinning, intermittently (so not all the time), but when it does, the spin dies almost seconds after.

I assumed it was the bearing, so I changed it to one from another throw, it stopped screeching, then couple weeks later it started again… so I’m guessing it is the metal disc that sits on the axle instead.

How do I fix this? I’ve been told not to take the disc off, but likewise, I want it to stop screeching and killing the spin… :confused:

1 Like

It sounds like there may be some debris or something in the bearing seat that is getting your bearing dirty. Replacing the bearing only fixed it for a short time before more debris flew in and got it dirty again, making it loud and responsive. I would try using tiny pieces of paper towel to clean the bearing seat. It’s the recessed space where the bearing spins, see this image for reference:

3 Likes

Would this explain the quick deterioration in spin time as well (makes sense it would cause the screeching noise)?

It could explain the spin deterioration. If some stuff is getting in the bearing, it could cause noise and increased friction which would kill the spin. Cleaning the bearing seat and bearing shouldn’t hurt anything, and can make a huge improvement

1 Like

It’s possible there’s something else about the hub that’s causing the problem. I’m looking at the hub right now and I can’t see anything specifically weird about it that might be the problem.

It does look like it’s a metal hub that is press-fit into the plastic body, which can cause issues if it isn’t press-fit in properly, but I would imagine that wouldn’t be the source of your problem of the bearing screeching and locking up. Cleaning the bearing and bearing seat can’t hurt, and if it doesn’t fix the problem, it at least eliminates those things as possible sources of your issue.

1 Like