Plastic for 0A?

I just got Origen and I really dig it, playing a mix of 0A and 1A. My kiddo is super intrigued seeing me do stalls and flips and such.

He currently does awesome with his K2 Crystal, but the walls are a bit low so it likes to fall off the string when stalled. Can anyone recommend a plastic yoyo with high walls that would work well for 0A? Something affordable though, like $20 range.

8 Likes

Hereā€™s some you can readily find and fit the budget:
Duncan Butterfly
Duncan ProFly
Spintastics Manta Ray
YoyoExpert SnapBack

Iā€™ve never tried it, but Iā€™d think the loop 720ā€™s would be fun 0A yoyo too. Albeit a little harder to hit the gap.

9 Likes

The SnapBack is compatible with the Loop 720 guts. Itā€™s basically the Sunrise kit in a Spinstar. Iā€™d heavily favor the SnapBack over the Loop 720, especially for a kid whose goal is to learn 0A.

The Butterfly XT is an 0A beast for $5 and available at most Targets in the US. Iā€™m also thus far convinced that itā€™s indestructibleā€¦

7 Likes

Are you sticking with plastic so it doesnā€™t hurt as much when you accidentally hit yourself? Because if your budget is $20, why not snag another Origen. Then heā€™ll have the same yoyo as pops and if he looses interest youā€™ll have two :wink:

5 Likes

The SnapBack looks like a great fun responsive for 1A, but the walls seem pretty short for 0A, no?

And yeah, I was thinking plastic to reduce injuries to himself and my drywall. :grin: You make a strong point here though:

2 Likes

Here to agree that you canā€™t go wrong with a $3-6 Duncan Butterfly. I play 0a mostly, and before El Mijo Polycarb came out i threw either Butterfly or Yomega Brain (for not-so-fixed axle but 0a-alike)

Edit: also Duncan Profly is good, and also doubles as practice/casual 2a throws.

2 Likes

I recommend the Duncan Butterfly, buuuut seeing your comment here, you might want to check out the Duncan First Yo! Itā€™s a fixed axle yo-yo with silicon rims. I bought one for my 2 year old, he can swing it around to his heartā€™s delight and not damage anything or hurt himself. :blush:

4 Likes

Oh, no, heā€™s 11. And he kills it on his Crystal K2. Heā€™s just a bit wild at times. :grin:

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say they are low, however, the gap is a bit wider.

5 Likes

The walls are just fine for 0A.

5 Likes

The Origen is really awesome. Huge surprise. I wish it came in silver and without engraving.

1 Like

The Duncan pro z is almost never mentioned in conversations like this but imo itā€™s one of the finest 0A throws ever made.

Spintastics manta ray and tiger shark are both great, butterfly xt is great, spinstar/snapback get the job done but they donā€™t lock in stalls as well (great for varials though).

7 Likes

The YoYoFactory One is surprisingly capable of 0A. Plastic, cheap, and easy to come by.

3 Likes

I think your best option for a cheap 0a is the Duncan Butterfly XT. Itā€™s a great shape, but the bearing will need a little help at some point. Iā€™m pretty sure I put some traxxas grease in it to make it more consistently responsive. This is just part of 0A. Iā€™d do a half-swap to make it cooler, and Iā€™ve found it helpful when learning kick flips and varials.

I just got a couple of Spinstars recently and while the response is great, the walls are a bit lacking.

Unfortunately, any other suggestions I can make based on personal experience are above the price point. So far, the Weekender and Daytripper are still the pinnacle in my opinion. The DocPop Thing is great with the right string and a bit of grease. El Mijo Poly is great response wise, but itā€™s actually quite a bit more tricky to land because itā€™s so narrow.

6 Likes

You can get Butterfly fixie and an XT and still have money for strings.

5 Likes

Butterfly xt is obnoxiously good too for the price

4 Likes

I love my yoyofactory whip. Itā€™s smaller in diameter so the walls arenā€™t as high though. Hobby lobby got them for $6. So does yoyoexpert.

3 Likes

The Thing is definitely on my wishlist.

3 Likes