Picking baby's first metal

Hello everyone!
I’m looking for a first metal yoyo for a kinda pre-intermediate player, budget is around 60-70 usd.
I’m currently torn between really different throws - Dif-e-yo Juggernaut (pretty respectable brand, organic shape, durable coating) and Ilinx Melatonin (really interesting soft-V-ish shape and pretty cool looks).
Which one should I choose? Are these any good at all?

3 Likes

And here I thought Anthrax? Megadeth, maybe Slayer?

6 Likes

Freehand1al

2 Likes

For a first metal, I’d recommend something less expensive or less rare. Youre going to ding it a bunch, I dinged the first half dozen or so yoyos I purchased all the time lol

7 Likes

I agree with Brandon. if you get a slightly cheaper one you might not be as worried about dings etc. Plus you dont want to spend too much on a yoyo that you might end up not liking.
The YYF Sugar (Shu Takadas Signature Model) is on sale on YYE for $40. I think it would be a great all round yoyo to start with and could probably see you through for a long time

6 Likes

The Sugar is a great recommendation.

7 Likes

Sugar + Duncan Freehand One plastic

5 Likes

CaptainFoxxButt
Thanks. All puffy n smooth. I honestly forget about these. One question - what is the difference between regular and small bearing version in terms of play?
bheinz63
Absolutely agree, but all I really want is something fancy (and aesthetically pleasing) to grow into.
yophilyo, Roman_Soup, suspense
Thanks for the advice. I’m not trying to diss on this yoyo, it’s just a bit too err… edgy for my liking.

If you’re down to just those two, you can’t go wrong with either. Go with the one that looks like you’d enjoy it more.

3 Likes

topyo silenus

4 Likes

I think if you accept by the time you grow into your first fancy yoyo that it will very likely be well loved, then just jump the gun on the one you like more. i’ve yet to find a yoyo that didnt perform better than I can play (im talking miles worth of difference here lol).

2 Likes

So the regular has a large size C bearing for unresponsive. The small bearing is a size a for responsive

1 Like

For first metal? No way, I’d start 'em out on some Judas Priest or maybe Molly Hatchet. Hitting them with any of the three you mentioned without weaning could cause serious damage. :smiley:

Anyway to the OP, I gotta join the “don’t spend 60-70 yet” group here. You can get a really nice throw for under forty bucks and shed fewer tears when you ding it (which will happen!). Also, at the level that I’m guessing you’re at (which I’m not much further beyond) you might not want to spend a lot on a throw without trying different shapes, finishes and weights first. As you learn more tricks, your taste in yoyos will likely change and that expensive throw that you liked so well to start with won’t be ideal anymore.

Offhand, if you do decide to try a few cheaper throws instead of an expensive one I’d take a look at Topyo among others. I have a Colossus V and just got my new Null in the mail today. While I haven’t had a chance to really play the Null enough to form a full opinion, my first impression is definitely positive, especially for a $35 yoyo! And the Colossus V is fantastic for a $20 throw. I’ve also had the Pay it Forward Silenus and was impressed by that as well, although my preference leans more toward V or H shapes generally.

Ivan

4 Likes

Anything by onedrop would be my opinion. They can take a beating, give off the perspective of being cool, and should stay pretty smooth with damage.

4 Likes

If you mean progressing with tricks, you’d be better off (objectively) with a different choice. I’m not sure if you selected these two with dimensions in mind, but it’s worth noting that these yoyos would be considered undersized by today’s standards. Sure, any yoyo is capable of most anything in the right hands etc. but something with more modern dimensions will make life easier. Also the Dif might have non-standard response pads.

1 Like

If you’re a beginner/pre intermediate level then you’ll likely be unscrewing the yoyo a lot to get out knots. I’d recommend getting a One Drop with side effects so you never have to worry about stripping it or having it chirp like a bird every time you take it apart. Something like the Terrarian would be a good option I think.

1 Like

Lido
Got it. I’ll probably gonna go with Juggernaut. I guess I’m sucker for an old school-ish organic shape.
Theycallmecotton
Thanks. Looks kinda cool. Will check it out.
bheinz63

i’ve yet to find a yoyo that didnt perform better than I can play

I’m just worried about yoyo being a bit too quirky or way too demanding. I don’t mind some good fun challenge, but I don’t want it go full “NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION”

CaptainFoxxButt
Many thanks.
craZivn
Big thanks for all the tips. I guess I should have pointed out earlier I’m more into an organic shaped stuff. Sorry, my fault.
And I know it may sound silly but the shape and visual appeal is a part of the fun.
kretzschmar
Would be nice to get some. Buuuut all the stuff I’m interested is out of stock right now.
Rosenberg

but something with more modern dimensions will make life easier.
I guess I kinda used to a smaller throws. So I guess that’s should not be an issue. But thanks for advice.

TheThrowingGnome

I’d recommend getting a One Drop with side effects so you never have to worry about stripping it or having it chirp like a bird every time you take it apart.

I’m sorry but how exactly “side effects” can help with getting knots out?

Something like the Terrarian would be a good option I think.

I would prefer to go for something like Parlay. Well, at least aesthetically-wise.

1 Like

Side effect throws are basically unstrippable. If in the unlikely event something were to happen you could just install new side effects. A cheap tapped metal throw on the other hand commonly has issues with repeated unscrewing. If you are constantly having to unscrew your yoyo to get out knots then it can become a durability issue. Parlays are great btw.

1 Like

This is the answer. Look for a parlay on the BST.

I actually liked the shutter for under $50