Permatex 22074 Ultra Grey for very unresponsive return system

I was only able to get an hour in after the cure so far, but this response really is fantastic! It seems to really mitigate snagging even with lots of wraps in the gap. I have tried multiple diy silicones and this ultra grey is the first silicone making me rethink my pre-made pads… looking forward to spending more time with it. Thanks for the recommendation!

6 Likes

What do y’all think about this stuff?

The TDS says its hardness is 60, even harder than the ultra grey. I didn’t get it because it’s more expensive ($19.99) and the application (cheese whiz style) seems like it might be harder.

4 Likes

i like cheeze whiz style much more than saying “nozzle style”

3 Likes

Seems like it’s meant to cure very quickly (5 minutes from application to dry in the TDS, and “one minute” on the packaging), which makes me think application could get extremely annoying if it cures before you can get a clean/smooth recess to your preferred depth. Especially if you’re doing multiple yoyos at once.

Ultra grey is already very hard (compared to other DIY silicone options) and provides a really low level of response with the most shallow recess, any harder and you might feel like all of your throws and binds are just very weak.

You can try it if you want, but it seems like a pretty bad option to me.

1 Like

Finally put the Top Deck and Hades down long enough to take em apart! The onedrop bearing got loud so I put it in some acetone and did a batch of silicones. I’ve been using the regular flowable on all my throws so I am interested to try the ultra grey. Waiting time!

8 Likes

Application looks good! All hail Permatex Ultra Grey

2 Likes

First try with the grey goop. Mildly afraid I recessed it too much, or not too much, or it’s fine? We’ll see!

4 Likes

That’s how much I recess, although I use very long string so I barely slip on most setups.

If you use short string or thin string it might be a lil slippy. On full length kitty/sochi/ot fat it should be more than fine though.

2 Likes

So I’m the big push I did yesterday of the four I did here are two.
MONO from at design labs powdered coated edition (1 of the 3 I got so I’m playing around with what response I like the most)
And then had to swap out the old silicone in the free solo from one drop and sheesh no more string bite and with the string I make a bit thicker and more on the nylon side of the blend it plays too smooth, soon enough I’m sure I’ll silicone all of my throws with the grey stuff, it is just too good string bite would end my sessions so early.
Now I just get to play and play and play. :joy::smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

I will post today the pictures of the one I siliconed last Friday, they just look perfect now and the response as well is perfect, string bite is just an old memory the yoyos play smoother than ever, I think this is kind of the final solution for me, still binds are perfect and secure and not snaggy and the combos flow easily even in the hardest passages where there is a risk of string bite, for now this silicone is for sure the best response pads I had, the non perfect application is not even an issue as it smooth out with playing an hour with it.

I keep using my fat string: Zipline, Aceyo and Monkeyfingers and I feel very satisfied as those are my favourites.

I think I will try a recess in another yoyo just to see how it behave but I do not think at the moment I need it.

3 Likes

Around 24 hours have passed and the silicone is ready. I knew it would not be as grippy as regular flowable, so I made normal-thickness (7 wrap) strings for them. The reason I was making skinny 6 wraps was for response purposes. With Ultra Grey response and a thicker string I think this is my favorite so far. I prefer the hand feel of 7 wrap string and now I can use them with a response I like!

The hype is real! :slight_smile: oh no, now I have to do the rest! And make more normal strings I have tons of skinnies laying around.

I also tried a couple different bearings in the Top Deck and I ended up just putting back in the cleaned and lubed one drop flat bearing. I put a concave in the Pomelo and I like that for it. Hades remains perfect with its original bearing, it doesn’t need anything.

4 Likes

Well, I can definitely say that this has blown away my expectations, the application process wasn’t that hard compared to normal flowable silicone, just took me one failed attempt to figure out I had to really push the silicone into the gap. Specifically I used the 82194 Ultra grey, and the results speak for themselves. The binds are great, tight without being snaggy, and most importantly to me the binds feel very consistent. With some pads especially the binds feel very inconsistent, sometimes it will slip and other times snag instantly, shooting back to your hand. Can wholeheartedly recommend!

Question for all of the silicone pros out there (I normally just used monkey snot for the longest time), what do you do with all of the silicone left over in the plastic tip of the applicator? Is it all waste? Are you sealing it somehow? Maybe there’s a better way to apply it without wasting so much.

1 Like

I treat it as waste, and try to minimize it by doing multiple yoyos all at once. With flowable silicone, it’s not hard to get out, i just tried to get the ultra grey out and it hasn’t fully cured, so i got a plug of it out, but it’s still liquid in the middle of the nozzle.

I finally got some and put it in my Horizon yesterday, but now I’ve lost the axle for it, and I’m not sure which of my yoyos has the right size axle now… I think it’s 8mm. is that a thing I can buy locally at a hardware store?

2 Likes

I use a quite small syringe to do not waste that much so I can put in the syringe only the one I need and with the tiny bit that come out from the lid I use it as “sealing” cap, when I use the silicone again I just take it off the little solid layer and the silicone is fresh again.

Do not use the pipe that come with it or you have to find a way to seal all that bit (probably just leaving it in the freezer work)

3 Likes

Axles are just M4 set screws, find the specs of the yoyo online and grab the right size

I’d also recommend bringing onw with to check thread pitch, but I’m pretty sure its M4-0.7

1 Like

First ever attempt at hand poured silicone, and I’m happy with how it turned out. Will have to wait till Monday to clean up/play because this yoyo lives at work lol. Will be doing some more at home tonight/this weekend

8 Likes

really want to make a plastic fh1 properly unresponsive, gonna give this gray stuff a shot since the upgrade axle, bearing, and spacer kit isn’t enough. will be a first attempt at silicone anyway.

1 Like

As someone whose never used silcone before … how many yoyos can I get done with the 0.5 fl oz tube, or should I just go with the 3.5 fl oz?

3 Likes

Chris if you can buy the bigger tube it worth it better, I bought the 0.5 Oz because I wanted to try the silicone and don’t waste it in case I didn’t like, with that small tube you can do around 10 yoyos, I will buy the bigger one next time

4 Likes

the important thing is to test how long the silicone can remain fluid from the moment the tube is opened. The motorsil has this problem, after a few weeks, even if stored in the fridge, it starts to harden and create lumps that will not allow you to spread it correctly in the recesses of the yoyo, even though it seems apparently fluid. Just to be clear, these two are to be thrown away.

Therefore, evaluate the choice of the size of the tube to buy also according to this aspect and how many yoyos you have to silicone in the short term

2 Likes