Performance difference between 5a counterweights

Is there a big performance difference between your very basic and bearing(ed) counterweights?

Bonus Question:

When does the Duncan patent expire on these? In other words, when would they be able to be legally manufactured for sale by other people/companies?

2 Likes

Biggest difference I’ve noticed is with a bearing type or others that are free spinning is you don’t have to adjust string tension (which is a big plus) because the string is not connected to a fixed point. Otherwise I just try to match appropriately weighted counterweights to the weight of the throw. I’m still a super novice at 5a though.

4 Likes

Is there an official ratio for this?

1 Like

somewhere around 1/6 I think, so most counterweights are in the 10-12g range. It affects the proportion of string you have on either side when you grab it to do tricks where both the CW and Yoyo move independently.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Here is an awesome link from the past

3 Likes

There’s also the double-dice counterweight (which is like having two distinct counterweights, I think, for slightly different tricks?) and that new adjustable weight counterweight.

1 Like

That’s amazing. How long has this website been up?

2 Likes

I’m not certain. At least a few years.

2 Likes

Wow… that is a very specific and very useful website…

3 Likes

Do you happen to know what they have a patent on? Is it just that you can’t call it a counterweight (like “yoyo” in Canada) or can you not sell anything that could be used as one?

@vegabomb or @unklesteve

1 Like

Patents are very legalese documents. I know the gist of what the patent is but hesitate to describe it for fear of making an error. Steve Brown is the person that submitted the patent so he may chime in if so inclined.

3 Likes

The patent is YoYo and Method for Using a YoYo.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6371824B1/en

6 Likes

I do find it slightly humorous that a year before a patent expires, a certain company decides (after years of essentially doing very little to promote 5A) all of a sudden has a push to try to promote 5A, as if they know the gates are about to be opened and they’re going to have a ton of competition :joy:

4 Likes

They still remain 100% unreasonable on licensing though, even with just a year left. We’ll have a few new counterweight options available once that countdown strikes zero. :grin:

6 Likes

There is a certain National YoYo Master that I’m highly looking forward to seeing what he’s got up his sleeve.

5 Likes

You can say many things about me, but you can never say that I don’t have a lot of plans in the works.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you chart their sudden action on 5A on one line, and Bryan’s increased responsibilities and agency on another line, I will bet you those two lines are parallel and identical.

Bryan is a good dude and he loves 5A. He’s doing his very best to get them to push and promote it.

7 Likes