Paypal advice

Friends don’t let friends do paypal friends and family… :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

21 Likes

if you need me to list the many reasons the way things can go awry, for the buyer or the seller, and why - even between friends - it is a good option (especially during corona) - search my name and g&s, i’ve dne it tons of times :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

This, all day, every day. I’ve said it before and, I’ll say it again, when I see a BST post with prices listed as “F&F or buyer pays G&S fee”, I don’t even look at what is listed for sale.

9 Likes

I would argue that Friends and Family is useful for protecting the seller, if the seller is experienced and has good reputation, and the buyer is brand new and has no reputation whatsoever. In this situation, F&F protects the seller, as it prevents the unverified buyer from paying G&S, receiving the yoyo, and then filing a “item not delivered” claim and getting their money back. In my experience, in G&S disputes, Paypal always sides with the buyer. There are far too many stories of sellers getting burned like this with G&S.

4 Likes

Ship with tracking and keep your receipt. Tracking will show delivery.

8 Likes

This is always something I’ve feared would happen to me on ebay…of the hundreds of things I’ve sold though over the last 15’ish years, it’s not happened once thankfully.

5 Likes

But If someone is selling something for a certain amount, I would expect to receive that exact amount no matter which way they pay

1 Like

anyone using this reason to justify f&f should have their head examined. g&s protects the buyer AND the seller.

4 Likes

Shipping is very easy when buyer pays G&S, links right to USPS site. Seller doesn’t need to type in an address. I understand your point about not wanting to get scammed by a buyer, however, if I’m buying, I’m not making it easy for the seller to steal my money.

4 Likes

I believe forum BST rules state the seller is supposed to list the price inclusive of shipping and fees. If I’m selling something, it isn’t hard to take 30 seconds to figure out how much will go to PayPal and how much will go to shipping.

4 Likes

https://thefeecalculator.com/

this tells you exactly how much to ask to get the amount you want using g&s. No basic math required :+1:

8 Likes

Thanks for the link! Bookmarked! :smiley:

1 Like

PayPal says the fee is 2.9%+$.30

2 Likes

Sheesh…I thought we were friends! I thought we were family! Fine, I see how it is… :disappointed:

Just kidding! At one time I used the bst on another forum more than I ever do today, and if someone was asking me to pay via friends and family I always walked away. Just put a notion in my mind that something shady might be goin on.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.