Pay it Forward - Motion YoYo - Centrifugal

Awesome thank you!!!

2 Likes

Got this beauty today! I was blown away by all the extra goodies crammed into this little box! (almost couldnā€™t get them all in the picture). Thanks for the generosity of all involved! It was a pleasant surprise for sure. Will give first impressions & the pics this thing deserves later in the week.

P.S. - Do you guys think it would be ok if I kept two of the strings as long as I replaced them with something else?

5 Likes

I see no issues with that. Please share your thoughts once done playing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First impressions time.

(Iā€™m not much of a fan of most outer-rim bimetals, so take that into consideration.)

You donā€™t need me to tell you that this is in the top three most stunning throws Iā€™ve ever touched. As you might have guessed from the pics & specs, itā€™s also easily top three (probably top two or even #1?!) for most stable throw Iā€™ve ever used. You may have also assumed that itā€™s a powerhouse from the 57 mm diameter and beefy rims. If you did, youā€™d be right. To my surprise, however, it doesnā€™t kick like a 12 gauge on return.

Whatā€™s more subtle to the eye is a little detail I love. One thing thatā€™s always intrigued me about Motion (besides incredible aesthetics) is that they donā€™t release a yoyo unless they believe it offers something new or significantly improves on what that already exists. Where that comes into play on the Centrifugal, I think, is the little downturn on the edge of the rim. This makes it a very slight ā€œMā€ shape that is SO much more comfortable than most outer-rim bimetals (I didnā€™t realize how much so until I played it back to back with others). Take note here, other yoyo companies.

Difficult to picture ā€œMā€ taper on rim.

Besides looking great, it also sounds good. It has this nice harmonic (wait - thatā€™s a different yoyo :wink:) metallic sound. Itā€™s not too loud or high-pitched so as to be annoying; itā€™s just enough to be cool. Smoothness is 9/10 at worst, which is amazing since Iā€™m the 28th+ person itā€™s been passed to AND it was a ā€œB-gradeā€. Barely see any marks on it considering, so thank you to those who played 5A gingerly.

In play, itā€™s floatier than I expected. Despite being a feathery 63.1g for a relatively big, beefy yoyo, it still feels quite reluctant. If you push it all the way through the trick, it will briefly remind you just how light it is before feeling almost unmovable again. This is likely due to the massive rim weight.

The most similar comparison I have is to my OG Hybrid Fulvia. The Centrifugal feels similar, but decidedly denser. HF has an even larger diameter, lots of rim weight (and the associated inertia/sluggishness, but to a lesser degree), and loads of power as well. I would say the Fulvia feels faster (despite being much heavier). It also carries its momentum much easier, giving it a more ā€œflowyā€ sensation in comparison. In reality, of course, the Centrifugal is faster given the considerable difference in mass. Iā€™m glad @craZivn compared it to one of the Speedaholics, as I thought the shape looked similar, and the specs arenā€™t too far off.

Iā€™ve never been a huge fan of rainbow rims based on most pics Iā€™ve seen (waits for audible gasps heard around the world), BUUUT, dang these look amazing in person! Still a sucker for raw rims, though.

Unfortunately, if Iā€™m being candid, there are some negatives:

• Finger spins - couldnā€™t land one with the domed hub, but I generally suck at finger spins.
  • Being perhaps the most rim-weighted yoyo Iā€™ve used, itā€™s somehow fatiguing to play even at its light weight

Overall, itā€™s a little tricky to figure out the purpose behind the design. Its power, stability, and comfort stick out as its strongest pros in play to me. It could lend itself to tech (as long as the 57 mm dia isnā€™t a problem for you); I donā€™t play 3A, but it seems it might perhaps utilize its strengths best there (itā€™s an awfully pretty yoyo to do that to, though). Then again, maybe an ultra-stable W ā€œall-rounderā€ was the goal. Either way, this thing is still dripping with quality.

10 Likes

Really love the detailed thoughts you put into this review - thank you so much. The response is probably pretty tired at this point - shame on me for not throwing in extra pads long ago :confused:

I appreciate you and everyone who has taken part here

9 Likes

No oneā€™s ever gonna ask for my thoughts again after that wall of text :laughing:

No shame! Youā€™ve let 28 people and counting try your beautiful work of art for free.

I just thought about it, but Capt or someone tossed in a new pair of clearish-white pads in all the goodies. (It was in a container with some bearings that I hadnā€™t opened yet). Would it be alright if I changed the pads with those, or would you prefer I hold off?

2 Likes

Nah I suggest you do exactly that, those stock pads are probably burned through lol

4 Likes

Others earlier on said the response was good, so that makes sense. Iā€™ll give that a try tomorrow or Thurs and update my ā€˜reviewā€™.

4 Likes

Slapped some new pads in this evening, and the response is perfectšŸ‘Œ

The old pads were basically goo. Who wouldā€™ve thunk after ~28 players and 1.5 yrs of play they might need to be changed? (Duh!). My bad. Review updated :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Could you tell us how that makes you feelā€¦:rofl:

3 Likes

Itā€™s been a privilege, but since Iā€™ve already had some good sessions with the Centrifugal, I decided to go ahead and pass this piece of art on to the next eagerly-awaiting thrower.

Thanks again for the honor, @JEA86!

4 Likes

@Solemn_Kaizoku it was an honor having you as part of this adventure. @Slestak75 get with @Solemn_Kaizoku and give the info for your shipping please :slight_smile:

Coming to a slow end friends - looks like no one else is interested - thanks to all who have participated

5 Likes

This was the YoYo that made me aware of motion and Iā€™m happy I was apart of it

3 Likes

Is there room on the list for another stop?

2 Likes

Itā€™s already in Motion my friend. :smiley:

3 Likes

4 Likes

The Centrifugal arrived safe and sound. So far itā€™s a real beauty!! Canā€™t wait to string it up and give it a try. :smiley:

9 Likes

Hereā€™s what passes for a video from meā€¦:rofl:
The Centrifugal is a very nice throw. The angles on the rim make it very comfortable to hold and throw. Itā€™s also a real beauty to behold. My sweet spot diameter seems to be 50-52mm. So this feels larger than I like but certainly not bad. For many it would surely be just right. Itā€™s very stable and spins longer than I have tricks for. The response is a tad slippy for my taste but I can bind it fine with a little more focus. All in all Iā€™m very happy to have the opportunity to try this out. I own a Parallel and I just love it, and Iā€™m really looking forward to trying the Perpetual as well. Motion is certainly making some stand out yo-yos. Thanks you so much @JEA86 for sharing the love. Iā€™m ready to move this on now. So @Hungrymushroom if you would be so kind as to DM me your address Iā€™ll get this out to you Monday morning. :grin::+1:

9 Likes

Sweet! Canā€™t wait to try it!

3 Likes

My apologies. I had an episode yesterday and I have not left the house. Iā€™m unsure about today. I feel very bad.

7 Likes