Out of the loop -What's a good sub-$50 yo-yo these days?

I haven’t been keeping up with what yo-yos are popular for the last couple years. I never quit practicing, I’ve just been playing with the yoyos already in my collection.

Does anyone have any recommendations for yo-yos around the $50 price range that’s came out in the last two years or so? Just looking for something fun for 1A that won’t break the bank.

2 Likes

Don’t be fooled by the $30 price tag. It plays way above its price tier, IMO.

9 Likes

May I also suggest Topyo colossus V or VI

5 Likes

Awesome, I’m buying that now. I’ve wanted to try C3 for a while now but I’ve just never bought any of their stuff before. I’ll give it a shot!

2 Likes

I’ve got a V but never tried the VI. I really like the Raiser by them too.

4 Likes

There are a bunch to choose from, and I would say it depends on your style/type!

For plastics, you can’t go wrong with the YoYoFriends Dove

Found Here:Dove yo-yo by yoyofriends – YoYoExpert

For metals, Not to toot my own horn, but I really do like the YoYoFactory Uppercut. :slight_smile: Nice, nimble, comfortable shape.

Found Here: Uppercut Yo-Yo by YoYoFactory – YoYoExpert

Hope this helps a little! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

YoYoFriends Shortcut

5 Likes

The BiMetal is a very good player

In my opinion if you have the funds to raise your purchase price to about $105.00 you will open your self up to a mind bending amount of options of throws that have come out in the past 2 years. You would need to go threw a lot of yo-yo pages and post and are willing to wait…

( sometimes this helps me generating funds, or at least time between the last purchase (-:wink:

to find what kind yo-yo you like on, yo-yo expert online store is best for the established companies and a few smaller ones plus the best raw information. The yo-yo expert forum will be able to fill in the gaps. If it is not up on yo-yo expert shop put a ( look for post ) up on the forum you will get help from some one with the same taste in throws most likely.

Helpful hints I was given passing them on, by no means is this the best or most efficient way or the way I have done it each time. good luck

Everyone have a great rest of the week

1 Like

So many to choose from…

2 Likes

I think it’s hard to beat the YYFriends Koi and OD Intro at that price if you like organic shapes. DocPop BoltXP is also a strong contender, but it’s machined Delrin if that matters to you. I’m not well versed in sub $50 competition shapes, but I was impressed with the iYoYo Shooting Star for the price.

2 Likes

for your consideration.

10 Likes

Another vote for the Shortcut!

2 Likes

For 30 bucks the Shortcut for metal or the Speedaholic XX for plastic are tough to beat. They keep up with most of my more expensive throws.

3 Likes

^^^^ listen to this right here. ^^^^

The Uppercut is amazing for the price. This was my EDC for months after i got one. The only reason i dont have it anymore is because someone finally won a bet i make. If a person new to yoyoing can get an unreposnive to their hand on their first few tries, they can keep the yoyo. No cost, no catches, nothing. Just 100% free yoyo. The only downside i have personally with the yoyo is the laser engraving is right in the middle of the cup. I wish it was on the side of the cup or on the rims or something. Laser engravings feel odd on finger spins. Other than that, the yoyo is very comfortable, stable, and a heck of a lot of fun.

As always eric, love your signature yoyos. Still have a new breed from yyj days.

4 Likes

Awww thanks for the kind words Cannon!

Man i wish i was that person who was new LOL!

I hear yah on the engravings! Aesthetically, I love the engravings on the cup, but after doing a bunch of fingerspins on it, it wears down and becomes smooth :slight_smile: I also use the 2 finger technique to hold it even more sturdy in place!

#yyj4lyfe

2 Likes

Try Shutter JDS or Topyo Silenus!

3 Likes

@YoYoExpertEric That’s funny you linked the Dove. Before I placed my order I did a quick search for delrin because I wanted a plastic yo-yo as well (the whole order was an impulse buy). I ended up getting the Cloud because it was cheap and I like TopYo, but the Dove was the other one I was looking at. Almost bought it for the finger spin grove.

The Uppercut looks solid and I like the shape. I’ll keep it in mind for my next purchase (Oh god here we go again lol).

2 Likes

hahah yeah, lots of great choices to choose from! :grinning: What color Cloud did you pick? just curious LOL

1 Like

For the most bang for your buck, go with MagicYoYo. Their Z01 Focus and Bi are both bi-metal yoyos that only cost $40. It’s outright insane and they play amazingly as well. If you can find a YoYoFactory KO somewhere in stock, go get one. It’s $50 for a very capable organic-shaped bi-metal yoyo.

3 Likes