Online Lessons with Gentry Stein

I was wondering if many people would take them, but it says on his site that he’s booked up. Good for him!

I’d love to do it if he had openings, but I’m not in a financial position to do it right now. Plus, I’m not sure I’d be able to practice enough ATM to make it worth it. Still, it sounds really appealing.

Have any of you tried it? Do you know of other celebrity or hotshot yoers who offer online lessons?

5 Likes

I’ve been doing the yo yo tricks app still plenty for me to learn on there and I’m sure I can find plenty of stuff on YouTube. I don’t think I’d pay for lessons especially online. I might pay for lessons in person with someone like Gentry, but not much… not dissing on him at all I actually like him and have one of his yoyos.

1 Like

Yeah yoyo, is definitely something you can learn on your own through tuts and just watching. However, the thing you don’t get from that is feedback. A good player can notice a lot of things about what you’re doing, and save you a lot of time avoiding and correcting bad habits.

I could see taking a lesson or two, and working on the material given, and then coming back periodically.

I noticed one of the best things that happened at the meetups I was hosting, was everyone teaching each other. We all seemed to progress so much faster that way!

6 Likes

Once this stuff cools down, go to a yoyo club. I’ve met many sponsored players that way.

4 Likes

I actually did one, it was fun and worth it just for the experience. I think you can honestly learn more off of just watching yo-yo tricks videos on YouTube but it’s up to you

12 Likes

Yeah, it would be cool to even just get feedback once from a great player.

Welcome aboard @YoYoApe, and glad I got you to post!

I just found a guy on Fiverr offering yoyo lessons for $5hr. Couldn’t find any others.

Found another on superprof for $21hr. Has a video of Zack Gormley on his page, as if it’s him! :rofl: Alas, it says he’s not available…

1 Like

Yeah feedback is definitely important. I’d rather get it for free from some at a club. Than over a computer. But of you had no option I guess it’s awesome that it’s available online.

I found an sw Randall’s about an hour from me they have a yoyo club on saturdays… wouldn’t be so bad if my license wasn’t suspended :sweat_smile: and magic the gathering on Friday! I don’t have any cards anymore buy I used to love to play highschool

1 Like

Welcome to the forums. Yeah. I’d pay for in-person lessons but never online which I would consider a waste of money for me. When I was teaching my apprentice he walked around me to see things from all angles and I could stop at certain points to help him understand things. The person who taught me barrell rolls in 2018 was able to do the same thing and see where and what exactly I was having a problem with and in 20 seconds had me up and running. I need in-person teaching.

4 Likes

I got the impression it was leaning more towards potential competitive play, or beginner competitors, in which case I could see that being very beneficial say if you’re intermediate or higher and are looking improve freestyles. For your average casual thrower I’d assume tutorials on YouTube will be just fine, although I could also see trying it out just for fun.

I wouldn’t knock online coaching either as I’ve seen VERY effective online coaching in strength training and other interest. It’s one of those things that entirely depends on the person providing the service. I’ve seen awful advice from so called “personal trainers” in person. Usually the ones that exceed at online coaching do so because they’re already just good at what they do.

5 Likes

I also did the basic level in our Indonesian language :slight_smile:
Rosgana Starting Yo-Yo

11 Likes

^Love it!!!

And love the music by @DocPop!

Are you still doing Graphic Art? I still have my Dave’s Skilltoys t-shirt! That was you, right?

3 Likes

In my opinion I wouldn’t pay money to learn yoyo, learn on your own and try your best to find someone local, having a friend in the hobby helps. Like mentioned above get into a yoyo club when its possible again. Not to dog on gentry at all, if hes booked up its obvious they’re good lessons

2 Likes

You see the same argument on music forums. Face to face lessons or internet. I learned piano taking in person lessons weekly and cannot imagine learning it any other way. I learned to play drums totally on my own, playing along with music and replicating the beats. It worked fine for me and as a high school senior I auditioned for the music program at a major university and was accepted on piano and percussion. So both methods worked for me.

As for yoyo, there are so many good online sources for lessons I cannot imagine paying. From this site and others doing full programs, to people like YoyoJoe posting good trick tutorials on YouTube, it is a great time to learn Yoyo. I do wish there was a local yoyo club where I could go and get feedback.

4 Likes

did he let you record the meeting?

3 Likes

Art is my life :)… wow… I also still keep those shirts… that is since 2004

2 Likes

Ive done it a bunch of times. It’s really fun and he is really the best teacher out their. Also he is super nice, I know he is going to be offering lessons again soon!

7 Likes

You’ve done it a bunch forreal?

2 Likes

Havent tried yet:(