No internet yo-yoing?

I’ve got a friend who I recently bought a velocity, but has no internet access. Any idea how he can learn besides me teaching him 24/7?

Thanks Contagon

ok i know what you’ll think but hear me out lol. with your internet go to yomega.com and buy him their instructional video… i have a friend and when he first started yoyoing he thought yomega was amazing lol, but i watched the video and it actually helps alot you can see it from different angels and even slow the trick down.

1 Like

I have four ideas:

1. Buy a trick book
  2. Download trick tutorials
  3. Buy Yomega trick video
  4. If you have a library in your area that has computers where you can go on the internet, then he can go to the library, whenever he wants to.

Or you could also use a program called “YouTube Downloader” (I would give you a link, but I’m not sure if it’s allowed) to download youtube videos, then either put them on his computer or his iPod —depending on what he has— so he can watch them later. And… if he has neither, then nvm. lol

I already have thought of that, (I have used it many times too) but he said his computer can’t handle USB. He said he has Windows 95.

Didn’t even think of the video, I actually have it and he can probably borrow it!

np man

u can burn the video onto a dvd of all the tricks so he can watch it on his tv

its all ready dvd …its dvd-rom wich means you can use it on both tv and comp.

I think yoyoaddict was saying that he could have his own copy of the DVD. :wink:

oh, in that case idk. Most likly?

tell him to play.

i hear that’s what people used to do. contrary to popular belief, yo-yoing doesn’t happen on the internet. sure, it might make it easier to ‘get good’ by the standard of our hive-mind, but i would LOVE to see a player who learned to play on his/her own. your friend might come up with some ways of playing that we’ve never even dreamed of, just because we’re so overwhelmed by the electronic microcosm we’ve fashioned for ourselves. we assume that we understand the ‘real yo-yoing’ because we know this or that trick, but yo-yoing’s like a gas. it escapes all of our vain attempts to grab it and claim it.

Ed is right, all of the tricks that are out there were once a thought in someone’s head. I’m not saying I don’t use the internet for help because I do. Out of everyone I know I’m the only one that Yo’s so to ask a friend for help is next to impossible. I bet if he play’s he could come up w/ something sick. All you need is the basics and the rest should fall into place. Use your mind, its the greatest tool anyone can utilize for anything they do.

The Library has some pretty good trick books. You can also make a quick sketch book to teach him the basic tricks and movements and after that tell him:

“I have taught you everything you need to know, grasshopper. Now it’s up to you to shred some awesomeness.”

Something like that. You know, the matrix movement, Houdini mount, revs, etc. All that good stuff.

I somewhat disagree with Ed. I do think that someone might be able to come up with some awesome stuff on their own if they try hard enough, but I think they will have a much better chance of (1.) enjoying their yoyoing, and (2.) doing things nobody’s ever imagined, if they gather in as much yoyo information as possible from all sources (internet, books, dvds, contests, clubs, etc.).

I yoyoed on my own for probably 2 years and hardly learned a thing in that time because I didn’t even know there were any online sites to learn from. Then, after watching a ton of stuff online and watching quite a few of the yoyo dvds out there, I have become much more creative with my yoyoing. I’m doing things I never dreamed I could do just a few months ago, really. Even making up things I never thought I’d be able to make up.

Myself personally, I could have never gotten this far on my own, just from my own experiences. But, it could just be me. Just sharing my thoughts.

admittedly, the internet is a great resource, and some people are decidedly NOT up to the challenge presented by yo-yoing in a vacuum. most of the time i’ve yo-yoed has been without the aid of the internet, and while i’ve learned more ‘good’ tricks since getting online, it was during my time yo-yoing solo that i came to define a huge chunk of the basic style i that appeals to me. during that time, i learned that i LIKE yo-yoing, independent of the community and our collective trick library. i wouldn’t trade that time.

if you have the means, i agree: you SHOULD seek out all the info you can - but if you don’t, your own yo-yoing is not diminished. i don’t believe that knowing rancid milk makes me a ‘better’ yo-yo player than some nomad child in the sahara who happened to find one and ‘invent’ loop-the-loop. i’m not saying that the internet isn’t an important means by which modern yo-yoing is disseminated. i’m saying that PLAYING yo-yo is still (and will always be) more essential.

“A friend with a computer with Windows 95 and no internet…?”

My suggestion:
Find some new friends :slight_smile:

j/k offcourse :stuck_out_tongue:

not really you need a dvd reader. but most computers have it nowadays. but his is so old(it is a windows 95)and it most likely wont have it.