Onedrop reviews & tiers (definitive edition)

My goal is to review every onedrop yoyo. If this sounds ambitious, that’s because it is.

A bit about me to put the reviews in context:

I started yoyoing in the early 2000s as a kid, and got quite into it before dropping off as a teenager, and picking it up again. Now I get a ton of joy out of collecting, I own too many yoyos and have done a ton of trading over the years, so I feel I can confidently say I’ve thrown about 400-500 different yoyos. I throw strictly for fun, slightly thicker and longer string than average for the maximum fun factor, and I’d like to say I’m decent enough. I can throw a 2.5 hook and a couple other fancy combos, but that’s about my limit, I mostly prefer to just kinda do my own thing anyway. So, I approach yoyos from the fun angle, the artistic angle, and a just enough of the performance angle.

Links to reviews:

Par Avion (scroll down)
Wyvern
Kuntosh
Panorama
DANG1
Format:C Gen 2

I’ll be replying to this thread with each review eventually, but here’s the first one:

The Par Avion is BIG. It doesn’t fit in standard cases, and I had to fashion an extra-large hole to comfortably fit it in my case. That being said, the Par Avion is a criminally underrated onedrop yoyo that I’ve wanted to shine some light on for some time. Onedrop’s description (Par Avion - One Drop YoYos, read it if you are interested!) cites it as being “fast, agile, and dare we say it, floaty”, which I think could be used to describe the Par Avion, but I think it’s slightly missing the mark of where I would classify this yoyo. Rather than being “fast” and “agile”, I would classify the Par Avion as a yoyo that glides, and it’s comfortable while doing so. I was shocked to learn that this yoyo weights 65g, as it truly plays lighter than its weight (hence, floaty!). The yoyo is also incredibly stable, even being suitable (while obviously, not ideal) for horizontal play. I definitely think the number one strength of the Par Avion is the fun factor though, and this is what makes it truly stand out as being a unique offering in the onedrop lineup. The Par Avion has a flow to it that makes me want to binge watch Ed Haponik youtube videos. It plays so well when you dial in the speed just right that it almost feels like a dance.

Comparing the Par Avion to other yoyos in the same category, I think it definitely stands out. A lot of oversized yoyos for me fall into the unwieldy category or play too heavy for my tastes such as the G2 Direwolf, JT MiLarge, CLYW Sasquatch, or YYR Dreadnought (shoutout to the Dread-G for a true finger breaking experience). However, sometimes you get some truly great oversized yoyos such as the A-RT 420 or Atmos Pomelo, and I definitely think the Par Avion deserves to at least be considered among this crowd. With those comparisons in mind, it’s important to note that if you put it in the same group as the A-RT 420 and the Atmos Pomelo, the Par Avion is sadly, not the same level of floaty as these two throws. Don’t get me wrong, there’s definitely some floatiness going on in the Par Avion camp, dare I say the most out of any onedrop throw, but we’re not at A-RT 420L levels of absolute floaty bliss. If we had the 420L at 10/10 floatiness, the 420 at 8/10 floatiness, the Par Avion might clock in around a 6. Keep in mind that’s far and away better than most of the oversized throws out there, but the weight distribution of the Par Avion still has a decent amount of rimweight compared to the traditionally more “floaty” options.

When it comes to downsides, the major drawback I can see for many people with the Par Avion is the gap width, at 4.7mm it’s a bit on the wider wide, and if you play with thinner string you might find yourself hating this yoyo just because the binds are a bit slippy. Combine this with the fact that these larger, floatier yoyos tend to be ideal yoyos for regens, and you should know that this yoyo requires a tad bit thicker string than usual to really shine. I would consider the traditional kitty fat as being the thinnest string I’d use. The only other drawback is the sheer size, so if you’re someone who wants to store it in like a cube shelf, maybe measure first.

Overall, If you want yourself a larger diameter yoyo that’s just fun, or have been interested in the concept of the A-RT 420 but just don’t like organics (for some reason…), then the Par Avion is definitely a good pickup. If you like the Par Avion and want similar yoyos, check out the Markmont Classic, the Fat Tire 20/20, and the above mentioned Atmos Pomelo and A-RT 420/420L.

30 Likes

Love this. Can’t wait for more!

3 Likes

I’ve only being throwing again for almost a year now, but One Drop has quickly become one of my favorites so this is gonna be a really nice reference thread for me, thank you for this!

2 Likes

Anxiously waiting for more, bookmarked.

2 Likes

Ding Counter: 1 (pictured)

A fairly recent addition to the onedrop lineup, the Wyvern is sort of a hodgepodge of hallmark onedrop features that results in a pretty nifty throw. My review on this one is going to be a bit strange, so bear with me. The weirdness starts when I claim that this yoyo plays narrower than it actually is, which gives it a neat comfortable feeling. This comfortable feeling is only expanded upon by the wide catchzone of the Wyvern, since hitting the flat rims will result in the string sliding into the gap 99% of the time. Now, while the Wyvern obviously has some rimweight (the material is there afterall), the Wyvern still manages to approach the level of agility that narrower throws often have. You can see this in the design, with most of the weight of the yoyo pushed towards the center in between the flat rims, giving it that nice level of zip. This yoyo is a great example of “don’t judge the yoyo by its specs” (shoutout g2 jake), since the Wyvern and a Thesis Invictus have very similar stats, but play differently.

So we know the throw is agile, what else does it have going for it? The Wyvern has decently high spin times, plenty to get the job done, but is not the most stable yoyo in the world due to the aforementioned weight distribution. I would attribute the Wyvern to being a comfort yoyo, and the design influence seems to speak to the Wyvern being designed to slot cleanly into the onedrop lineup without causing too much disruption. Meaning that it plays similar to a handful of other onedrops while being unique enough to justify owning. The official description for the Wyvern cites it as having a great hand feel, being floaty, and having great spin times. The first is 100% true, the Wyvern is extremely comfortable on the throw/catch and in the hand. As for being floaty, there’s definitely an argument to be made for the Wyvern, but I don’t personally consider it among the most floaty onedrop throws out there (atleast, it would not crack my top 5). The main strength of the Wyvern is having a quite high spin time while possessing just enough float to give the yoyo a unique feel. Compared to other yoyos, the Wyvern reminds me a bit of the play characteristics of the Panorama, but trades off on the floaty fun levels for added spintime and stability.

Now, I’ve gushed a bit about the yoyo, it’s all around solid and if the above has piqued your interest, here’s the downsides. The Wyvern is not as stable as a lot of the other onedrop yoyos, and due to the weight being pushed towards the center, tends to tilt off axis easier than some other more rimweighted counterparts (this is a common comparison point between the Wyvern and the Free Solo). This makes the yoyo a bit frustrating sometimes to use with a flat bearing, as when your string rubs against the response the yoyo tilts as a result, but your mileage may vary. As for the tier rating, I decided to put the Wyvern in B tier because the design overall doesn’t truly excel at anything, and isn’t the best generalist/jack of all trades comfort’ onedrop yoyo, at least in my opinion. However, it’s far from the worst, therefore to me it’s a great candidate for being near the higher end of B tier. I kind of draw a parallel between the Wyvern and a “greatest hits” album release. If you’re a fan of the band, you’ll like – maybe even love – the greatest hits album because it has all the features that you’ve come to love over the years. However, if you’ve never heard the band before you probably won’t resonate with the album as much, and I feel this holds true for the Wyvern. The Wyvern is an absolutely phenomenal yoyo if you’re a onedrop fan, and you’ll find it get along nicely with a number of their other releases, but I think there are better and more unique onedrop offerings out there to be had if you are just getting into the brand.

If you like the Wyvern, consider the Panorama, Fat Tire 20/20, Sugar Glider, Summit, and Cascade.

Get your pitchforks ready for the next one! Especially if you like very delayed releases.

15 Likes

“The main strength of the Wyvern is having a quite high spin time while possessing just enough float to give the yoyo a unique feel.”

This really says it all. Its a really great yoyo. Unique yet very capable. Highly recommend. Especially with Cerakote.

4 Likes

I’ve yet to get my hands on a cerakote onedrop, still waiting for a version I gel with, I was the closest to pulling the trigger on the wyvern egg one though.

2 Likes

Funny, the rims on the FS do look like there’s more material there, which would go along with your assessment, but I’ve tilted my FS several times. I’ve also never tilted my Wyvern and it’s alway felt more stable to me. Maybe I feel this way because of the overal higher weight. Also the FS has always felt lighter than the listed weight.

1 Like

The Free Solo being 7075 also adds to it, they look similar but the FS is denser.

1 Like

Ding Counter: Still 1!

Alright, time for a review with some history! Introducing the onedrop Kuntosh, a yoyo designed by Sonny Patrick, who was one half of Anti-Yo. To my knowledge, the original set of Kuntosh prototypes were the last Anti-Yo associated prototypes made, and by all assumptions seem to have been made sometime in the early 2010s (the onedrop writeup from 2016 states that 10 of the prototypes have existed for years, so I would assume 2014 at the latest)… You can find pictures of the prototypes in this post here: Kuntosh: onedrop, anti-yo, or somewhere inbetween? In 2016, onedrop released the Kuntosh, which to my knowledge is the original unchanged design that AntiYo designed, with the only difference from the prototypes being the lack of Anti-Yo side effects (swapped for flat caps) and the finish changed from Slip Matte Type III Hard Coat to onedrop’s Pyramatte.

Once again consulting onedrop’s writeup, they cite the design influence of the Kuntosh being the classic Italian car, the Lamborghini Countach. Which, if you’re unfamiliar, is quite a boxy car with plenty of sharp square angles while retaining the blistering performance you’d expect from your average Lambo. Now, upon looking at the yoyo you might assume that these sharper angles make the Kuntosh uncomfortable, but it’s oddly comfortable. The flattened out rims go a long way to cushion any impacts, and make it pretty difficult to accidentally hit yourself with the outer edge of the yoyo. This yoyo just sits great in your hand, your throwhand middle finger sits right in the groove and your index and ring fingers rest gently along each rim, fits like a glove.

As for playfeel, the Kuntosh is a yoyo that screams solidity, and it doesn’t mess around. It has a reassuring heaviness to it that makes it feel robust by comparison to a lot of other yoyos, while simultaneously not being so heavy that the yoyo plays like a rock. This solidity gives the Kuntosh a great presence on the string, it feels robust and controlled, giving you plenty of maneuverability to perform whatever tricks you want. While the Kuntosh isn’t the most stable yoyo I’ve ever thrown, it’s definitely not bad. Doing tricks with it is a forgiving experience, and the large catchzone is wider than you might think. Now, the drawback to all of these positives is that the yoyo isn’t very fast. If you want to pretend to be Shion and throw rail combos for days, you might want to look elsewhere. However, if you find yourself drawn to more older style tricks (lots of hops, denser mounts without too many wraps, some flowy elements), you’ll probably really like the Kuntosh. Also if you like doing inner ring grinds, the Kuntosh has a sick IRG lip. Plays alright with a flat bearing, better than the Wyvern that’s for sure.

Now, let’s talk side effects! So, I like to swap around the side effects in my throws quite a lot, and it’s one of the main things that attracts me to onedrop yoyos. Being able to subtly or drastically shift the playfeel of a yoyo is a lot of power. It’s my understanding that the Kuntosh was originally intended for Anti-Yo side effects, however this is just speculation on my end based on the prototypes having them. To replicate this feeling, I threw mini-disc side effects (which weigh just 0.1 more grams than an Anti-Yo SE) on the Kuntosh and threw it around for a few days. I can definitely say that onedrop’s decision to switch to flat caps was correct. The main drawback to the Kuntosh with the heavier SE is to no surprise, the weight! With the mini-discs, the Kuntosh was more reluctant to move, and got a little bit rock-y for my tastes. I also tried some lighter side effects than the flat caps, but I found that as you moved lighter you didn’t really gain much.

As for my rating… “B??” you might say? But let me provide my defense. If this yoyo was released back shortly after the prototypes were made, let’s say 2013 to provide a number, I honestly think this yoyo would be respectfully placed in the A or maybe even S tier. However, delaying the release until 2016 gave yoyo design a bit of a chance to catch up, and so I feel the Kuntosh is a little slept on sometimes. The other argument for the lower rating is the Kuntosh’s younger brother, the Kuntosh 5000QV, which will get its own review at some point. Spoiler alert: the 5000QV is better (but it’s preference, they play very differently). So, if the 5000QV didn’t exist I would easily put this yoyo in A tier.

16 Likes

Just wanna say I like that you’re making a graphic w the headlines for each of these

Edit not bc I don’t wanna read all this but bc I like graphics and the effort

5 Likes

I am indeed having fun. You might see some experimentation with the header images though, I originally wanted to make a different one for each yoyo but I’m not that creative, and I don’t want to drag this out for …years.

6 Likes

Just see what promos you can rip from od. If they get mad at you that’s silly bc it’s free promo. they got stuff on Flickr to rip prolly

1 Like

I’ve been taking them myself, my setup is very jank, the backgrounds are all just construction paper lol

3 Likes

The 5kQV is my favorite yoyo of all time, so I can’t wait to see that review. I agree though, while it’s not perfect, the Kuntosh is pretty great and just a legendary yoyo at this point. Great review!

3 Likes

The 5000qv is really special, I think you’ll be happy (though I can’t say the 5kqv is my personal favorite onedrop), not sure when I’ll get around to it, I am selecting at random currently with the caveat that I won’t review the like “sequel” yoyo before the first one

1 Like

Whether you love or hate it, I’m just interested in seeing your review. The ones you’ve posted so far have been fair, insightful, and clearly have a lot of effort put into them, so I’m enjoying checking back here a lot. Onedrop is a special company. Thanks for doing this!

5 Likes

Just bumping to reset the 1 month counter, I think that’s how it works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

More are coming I swear, got a bit busy, I have two basically completely written just need to get around to polishing them…

2 Likes

Only BST posts are locked after a month, but your bump might’ve increased the motivation to finish up more review posts lol

3 Likes