OneDrop CODE1 vs. OneDrop 54

Looking into OneDrop quite a bit. Not worrying about Side Effects just yet, trying to pick the more versatile of the two first. Opinions?

I have both. I feel the Code 1 is more versatile as the shape can lend itself better to horizontal play. They are different, very different. If you’re a good player, it won’t really matter as both are awesome in their own ways. Of the two you mentioned and since I have both, I like the Code 1 better.

1 Like

Code1 is more stable, which might mean more versatile. But the 54 is a little smaller so it fits in your pocket better. I also like the curve of the 54 for finger grinds more than the inward curve of the Code1. Out of the 2 of them, I prefer the 54. Any reason that you’re not looking at the other OneDrops like the Dang and Burnside?

in my opinion, the code one has a better shape than the 54… it keeps the walls away from the string better then the old shape of the 54… if memory serves they both have side effects and are the same price… im not gunna tell you that you will be dissapointed with the 54, i know one drop makes very good and desired throws, however i like the more modern shape of the code one.

ultimately the choice is yours tho…

hope this helps ya out

The 54 comes with two sets if side effects, so right there it is more versatile out of the package.
For the 54 and Code1 it all comes down to the size and shape you wan’t as when you do buy side effects, you will be able to adjust the speed, float, etc.

You’re right. I totally forgot about that. I bought my 54 off BST and it included the aluminum spikes and the brass dome side effects. I like the Aluminum spikes better, they just look cool! I haven’t tried the brass domes yet.

Also, both the Code 1 and 54 use side effects, so like Nobody just said, but a complete set and see what ones work best for you.

I also own both.
54: fits better in my hand. looks better personally. Slower than then the code1 for me…I think it has to do with the shape.
code1: doesn’t fit very well in my hand. has amazing finger grinds!( I have gotten a 10 sec. finger grind with it)
both: very smooth yoyo’s. your collection isn’t complete without them. so get them both!

The only other OneDrop I’d be the slightest bit interested would be the Dietz. I’m loving the shape, but I’d rather wait for the colorways to re-stock.

@Everyone else: I do personally love the shape of the CODE1 over the 54’s, and overall it’s more appealing in design. If I am not mistaken in reading your comments, the CODE1 has better finger grinds, keeps the string away and has better horizontal play. Whereas the 54 supposedly feels better in the hand and comes with two Side Effects with no extra cost. Correct?

I don’t do grinds yet(not there in the skill level yet), but the way it is designed, the string pretty much has nowhere to go except right into the gap. I personally like how the Code 1 feels in my hand. Mine came with brass ultra light side effects.

The 54 is just different. Organic round shape. It does come with 2 sets of side effects: Brass domes and aluminum spikes.

I can only go off my preferences, but I can’t say one is truly better than the other. I like the Code 1 better, but I’m certainly pleased with the 54.

I own both as well. One they don’t make the 54 anymore so good chance you won’t be able to find it new with both side effects. I’m selling mine on ebay through the BST thread with the black spikes on it for $75.00 if you are looking to get a great deal. Code 1 you can still find new but they are about to come up with the Code 2 so better pick it up quick if you want it new.

54 seems super smooth and flows very nicely. Code 1 is just an all around great throw. Both are very different and both are great. My personal opinion is that the Burnside is the best One Drop has created and that is saying a lot because every one drop yoyo is fantastic. The Burnside is just out of this world. The Dietz did just win YoYo of the Year from Yoyo skills so that is pretty epic as well too. I would say if I had to choose I would go 54. But with a one drop yoyo you can’t go wrong, and if you didn’t have to choose between just those two I would go Burnside all the way.

I think with the Burnside not using the side effects system, it allowed them to get the costs down to what it is. What you’re getting is basically a $100 yoyo at an $85 price. Since it was more “purpose built”, the need for side effects becomes a smaller factor.

I can’t wait to get a Burnside myself.

If you like the shape more than get the Code1. I think you’ll be happy with it. I would agree that it’s easier to do horizontal stuff with the Code1 than the 54.

Me too

TMcertified, what are you talking about? There are a bunch of 54s in stock.

a DANG is what your heart truly desires.

Simple Answer: Code1, 54 Blows.

1 Like